Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2007, 07:25 PM   #1

Parking lights...

Whats the purpose of them? Is it illegal in california to remove them? I dont like them mixing their orange color with my white Sylvanias =( lol

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...IMG00612-1.jpg
ROMES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 07:35 PM   #2

It's legal, as long as you're talking about removing the orange section of the headlight and replacing it with a clear one. The CA vehicle code requires all turn signals to be either white or orange in color when illuminated.

Sold September 4th, 2007.
Rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 07:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnell!
It's legal, as long as you're talking about removing the orange section of the headlight and replacing it with a clear one. The CA vehicle code requires all turn signals to be either white or orange in color when illuminated.

Umm the parking light i dont believe is the signal? Its inside the main housing with the low/hi-beams and its just orange bulb just blends with the white lights i put in there

Old 04-08-2007, 06:49 PM   #4

You can replace the small amber bulb(parking light/day running light) with a zenon bulb(blue or white). Its a simple swap out if you don't like the color.
I can't remember the bulb size but I do remember that there are actually two different ones that will fit/work. Take the bulb out and go to the store because the Porsche bulb part # is not going to work if you want a non amber bulb. I can't remember the bulb code for the ones I used off the top of my head...

Last edited by tqtran; 04-08-2007 at 06:54 PM.
tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 06:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqtran
You can replace the small amber bulb(parking light/day running light) with a zenon bulb(blue or white). Its a simple swap out if you don't like the color.
I can't remember the bulb size but I do remember that there are actually two different ones that will fit/work. Take the bulb out and go to the store because the Porsche bulb part # is not going to work if you want a non amber bulb. I can't remember the bulb code for the ones I used off the top of my head...

Its not even noticable im just removing them until I get some time to go in and replace....ugly little ambers lol

Old 04-08-2007, 06:58 PM   #6

I remembered now.

Its bulb type "194". That will replace the porsche one(2W2??). You can get it in White or Blue.
tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:43 AM   #7

While living in Germany for 7+ years, I learned a lot about parking lights, where they are used almost all the time. Since land is expensive in Europe, having a private driveway is a luxury not everyone can afford, so parking on the street is very common. Since many of the side streets are unlit--particularly in smaller villages--parking lights often are the only way to prevent a dark colored car from becoming invisible. In some cases, they will even post a special street sign (small rectangle with white + red bars) that requires the parking lights to be left on as long as the car is parked, and you'll get a ticket if you don't! Most European cars let you turn on the parking lights on only one side of the car (usually a combination of the headlamp switch and the turn signal) so that only the "street side" of the car is illuminated. I've also been told that some car owners who park on the street every night install a second battery just for the parking lights.

Our 2004 Special Edition Boxster has the 'one side only' parking light feature...does yours?

http://www.humble-programmer.com/images/Plaque0000.jpg

Last edited by humble_programmer; 04-09-2007 at 06:26 AM.
humble_programmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:08 AM   #8

thanks to humble programmer for the parking light explaination. i accidently had my parking light on one night and saw only one side of it being lit. i thought my parking lights were broken but didn't really care since i would never use parking lights and street lights seem to work fine. now this explains that my parking lights were working as designed. mine is 99 and it has 'one side only' parking light feature.
spark00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:22 AM   #9

Running light removal

How do you remove the running light assemblies?

sknoll is offline   Reply With Quote