Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2007, 04:43 AM   #1

987 audio question

This may be a dumb question, but am a bit more comfortable with mechanical matters than electronics/audio: I have a 987 with sound package plus (single disc in dash CDR 24) but no CD changer. If I want to add one in the factory location in the front compartment, am I stuck with the CDC-4, or can I go with any aftermarket unit?

John Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 05:29 AM   #2
1JB

I believe you have to go with the Porsche 6 cd changer that mounts in the front trunk. A special harness is required and it is around $800.
Auto Climate
Bose with Windstop
CD Changer
Heated Seats
Clear Sidemarkers
Midnight Blue Side Vents
1JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 10:40 AM   #3

Really? Son of a b----!!!!!!! Sometimes I really hate Porsche - usually when I start to think of their lame-ass, way-overpriced audio and media options. Is Bose, with factory-integrated satellite radio, a multi-disc changer (THAT PLAYS mp3s) for a max price of $1500 too much to ask for? Apparently it is. OK, rant over.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:21 AM   #4
1JB

I realized re reading this that it may seem that he harness alone is around $800. The $800 includes the cd changer and everything installed by the dealer. That's still way overpriced I know.
Auto Climate
Bose with Windstop
CD Changer
Heated Seats
Clear Sidemarkers
Midnight Blue Side Vents
Old 07-02-2007, 08:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JB
I realized re reading this that it may seem that he harness alone is around $800. The $800 includes the cd changer and everything installed by the dealer. That's still way overpriced I know.
Got it; probably not worth it since I still won't be able to play mp3s; I guess adding a sat radio receiver would be more bang for the buck. Amy 987 owners with a picture of a Sirius or XM receiver installed?

Facing a long drive from NY down to Charleston SC and back this September, and would love to have the car's entertainment potential improved by then...
Old 07-02-2007, 10:21 AM   #6

get an aux in to the CDR-24 instead

I wouldn't get a CD changer if I were you. I checked my local car audio store, they will run a Audio cable from the CDR-24 out to the glove compartment so you can plug in your mp3 player and play all your music for $250. it is a hard wired FM modulator. That includes labor and parts. I think it is well worth it considering that most of us have mp3 players and burning CDs are a pain in the butt.

If you want to go with a hard wired fc modulator option, make sure you go to a car audio store that do these retrofitting for porsche or any high end luxury cars. This way, you don't have to worry about someone messing up your car.

Last edited by n4ally2; 07-02-2007 at 10:21 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
n4ally2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:19 PM   #7

If the car already has the CD changer installed, does this make installation of a hard-wired modulator easier, harder, or impossible?

I will be picking up my 987S later this week, and it has the CD changer installed. I am completely addicted to satellite radio (I have Sirius, wife has XM), and can't see doing without it in the Box. Are there any other reasonable options available? I would tear out the Bose head unit and install one of the Eclipse NAV units in a heatbeat, if it was possible. I have an Eclipse unit in my daily driver, and it is fantastic.

BTW, will the OEM changer play CD-R discs? I don't mean mp3 discs, but CD-R's that have been burned as music discs.

Thanks, socalsharky
socalsharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:24 PM   #8

Keep in mind that FM modulators don't really sound all that good. I don't know how easy it is to hard-wire an FM modulator to these newer cars with the MOST bus, also.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
Keep in mind that FM modulators don't really sound all that good. I don't know how easy it is to hard-wire an FM modulator to these newer cars with the MOST bus, also.
Is that what they would use to connect a sat radio receiver to the head unit, too?
Old 07-03-2007, 06:43 AM   #10
1JB

The cd changer plays non-mp3 burned disks with no problem. You can burn cds from i-tunes and play them with no problem, not sure what format i-tunes puts them in my kids are the i-tunes gurus. Between the 6 cds in the changer and one in the dash you get well over 100 songs at the highest audio quality.

Satellite radio would be great for the randomness of the songs. I think the reason most people like to hook up an mp3 player or go with satellite is the huge number of songs you can get in essentially randomn play from satellite and a randomn play order on the mp3. With the cd changer you're liimited to random play on a single cd.
Auto Climate
Bose with Windstop
CD Changer
Heated Seats
Clear Sidemarkers
Midnight Blue Side Vents
Old 07-03-2007, 07:57 AM   #11

XM / Sirius Direct Connect?

[QUOTE=1JB]The cd changer plays non-mp3 burned disks with no problem. You can burn cds from i-tunes and play them with no problem, not sure what format i-tunes puts them in my kids are the i-tunes gurus. Between the 6 cds in the changer and one in the dash you get well over 100 songs at the highest audio quality.

1JB--Thanks much for the info. That is good news. I was afraid that the CD changer wouldn't played CD-R's

My main goal now is to get a satellite radio unit hardwired into the 987. Has anyone done this, either directly to the head unit, or possible through the CD changer? The sirius web site lists three ways to direct connect their receivers to your car stereo:

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Sirius/CachedPage&c=FlexContent&cid=1173752921558

1. Cassette adapter
2. FM Direct Adapter
3. Direct via Aux or line in.

Obviously, option 1 is not available on the 987. Option 3 would be the best, but does the head unit have a line in or aux? Any thought on option 2?

TIA, socalsharky
socalsharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:34 AM   #12

[QUOTE=socalsharky]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JB
The cd changer plays non-mp3 burned disks with no problem. You can burn cds from i-tunes and play them with no problem, not sure what format i-tunes puts them in my kids are the i-tunes gurus. Between the 6 cds in the changer and one in the dash you get well over 100 songs at the highest audio quality.

1JB--Thanks much for the info. That is good news. I was afraid that the CD changer wouldn't played CD-R's

My main goal now is to get a satellite radio unit hardwired into the 987. Has anyone done this, either directly to the head unit, or possible through the CD changer? The sirius web site lists three ways to direct connect their receivers to your car stereo:

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Sirius/CachedPage&c=FlexContent&cid=1173752921558

1. Cassette adapter
2. FM Direct Adapter
3. Direct via Aux or line in.

Obviously, option 1 is not available on the 987. Option 3 would be the best, but does the head unit have a line in or aux? Any thought on option 2?

TIA, socalsharky
Check with your local dealers - many of htem around here advertise Sirius installation for new Porsches on their websites, recognizing the money to be made from the demand for Sat radio, and Porsche's half-assed approach.
I don't know how they do it technically, but my dealer even has a flyer of optional extras they'll charge you for before delivery, an one of them was a Sirius set-up.