986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Solved the Cupholder problem & doubled my storage space (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11861)

2000SoCalBoxsterS 06-24-2007 08:47 AM

Solved the Cupholder problem & doubled my storage space

How's this for a mod. I drink a lot of coffee. Nothing fancy, just regular Starbucks coffee. It has always bugged me that the 986 didn't have a cupholder. And the center console glovebox is a joke for storage space. So I installed this center console extender that has a flip-out cupholder too. It's also a more comfortable arm rest due to the added height.
I am very happy with this mod. See before and after pics below:

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...ewConsole4.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...ewConsole2.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...ewConsole8.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...wConsole15.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...wConsole20.jpg

Tool Pants 06-24-2007 08:58 AM

Looks like the Bird unit. Some of the locals have it, but it is expensive.

djomlas 06-24-2007 09:02 AM

how do you like the armrest now? is it too high?

it looks like a nice piece, if you dont know these cars and looked inside, you would never guess that its a add-on piece.

btw, how much did that cost you?

Chills 06-24-2007 09:13 AM

How do you like it? Honestly I think it takes away from the lines of the interior. It does look like an add-on piece.

2000SoCalBoxsterS 06-24-2007 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djomlas
how do you like the armrest now? is it too high?

it looks like a nice piece, if you dont know these cars and looked inside, you would never guess that its a add-on piece.

btw, how much did that cost you?

It is the Bird Automotive product. I spotted it in Panorama and decided I had to have it. If you look at it as just a cupholder it was very expensive at $399.00 (on sale $100 off from normal $499) but if you look at it as what it is, a nice interior addition, extra large leather storage space and arm rest with a cupholder it's not that bad considering what Porsche charges for parts.

The armrest is not too high at all. In fact I wouldn't mind it being a little higher. I like the arm rest height now much better than before. It would be perfect for me if my elbow and forearm could rest on top of the armrest so the plane of my hand, forearm, elbow were even with the shift knob and I could slide my arm back and forth on top of the armrest as I shift. The old Lotus Espirit was setup that way.

One optional part that I didn't do yet is to remove the original lock cylinder and in the hole left where the cylinder was goes a thing Bird calls a l"anding pad" for the cup. I just couldn't get my lock cylinder to pull out so I skipped that step for now. It is optional as the cup sits fine and is very stable even without the round black metal padded disk that sits where the old lock was.

2000SoCalBoxsterS 06-24-2007 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chills
How do you like it? Honestly I think it takes away from the lines of the interior. It does look like an add-on piece.

It's a matter of personal taste. I really like it. Both in form and function. I love the higher position of the armrest. And I love the extra storage space.

djomlas 06-24-2007 09:59 AM

Jeez thats expencive, but then again like you said its not just a cupholder.
funny, all i have in there is some change, insurance card, and sunglasses ;) so making it bigger would just make all that stuff fly around.

i occasionaly use the sede vent cup holders, although not the perfect solution, they hold retty darn good, the click-in ones that you store away.

2000SoCalBoxsterS 06-24-2007 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djomlas
Jeez thats expencive, but then again like you said its not just a cupholder.
funny, all i have in there is some change, insurance card, and sunglasses ;) so making it bigger would just make all that stuff fly around.

i occasionaly use the sede vent cup holders, although not the perfect solution, they hold retty darn good, the click-in ones that you store away.

I keep my garage-door remote, Blackberry, Digital camera, tire pressure gauge, sunglasses, and V1 remote display in there now. And as I said I love the height of the compartment lid now for an armrest and the cupholder is more than strong enough to hold my 20oz coffee cups. The unit is built of steel and wrapped in leather. It's not just a piece of plastic.

spark00 06-24-2007 08:04 PM

can you lock it? it looks like there's another key hole thing on the side. if it is another key for extended compartment?

2000SoCalBoxsterS 06-25-2007 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spark00
can you lock it? it looks like there's another key hole thing on the side. if it is another key for extended compartment?

Yes. There is a lock on the side of the console extender. The old lock cylinder can be removed and you can either plug the hole with a plug provided or use something they call a "landing pad" which is a round metal disk with a rubber pad attached to the top of it. On it's underside is a metal cylinder which slips into the hole where the lock cylinder used to be. I didn't install that piece yet.

The old lock becomes non-functional. The original latch that used to lock the lid down now serves to secure the front of the extender down. The rear of the extender had a flat metal tongue that hooks behind the console where the old lid hinge used to be and secures the back of the extender down. There are no holes drilled to attached this console. It installs over all existing hardware and this whole thing is easily resversable. In less than an hour you can put it back the way it was. I like having a separate key for the center console.

JAAY 06-25-2007 05:01 AM

y did you not just buy the factory cup holder? That is what I did and it fits a 2 ventis no problem.

wild1poet2 06-25-2007 06:04 AM

cupholders? weez donz needs noze steenkin cupholders.....
lol

I got the factory cupholder in mine... most shaky unstable thing I've ever seen

What's that line of dialogue from 'The Transporter'? The rule of the car?? One of my rules is no cups or food in my car.... (except bottled water).

If you're a blond female hitchiker with a hot body I might make an exception....

of course.

wifesmainwrench 07-26-2007 06:13 AM

Boxter-sports car or coffee bar?

There's no cupholder in the Boxter because you're supposed to be driving, not swilling. We don't 'llow no eatin'or drinkin' in our car.

spark00 07-26-2007 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wifesmainwrench
There's no cupholder in the Boxter because you're supposed to be driving, not swilling. We don't 'llow no eatin'or drinkin' in our car.

I just did weekend trip to Toronto with Boxster which is about 550 miles each way. There's no way I can do 9 to 10 hour road trip without starbucks. Had awesome time driving both ways top down while enjoying starbucks coffee in my ultimate cup holders.

CJ_Boxster 07-26-2007 08:27 AM

I wouldnt call that "solved" as much as i would call it "relocated" the problem, what if your elbow hits that Grande Mocha Chi Latte Half Caf Double Mocha Frapacino... you'll get it all over your pants and console and if your really lucky... under your seat on your electronics.

racer_d 07-26-2007 12:27 PM

Does it impede getting to the Coin Holder? How about shifting?

wifesmainwrench 07-26-2007 04:32 PM

AAHH, I envy your youthful kidneys. I guess I'm showin' my age to need a different kinda car for road trips. (Sigh). Used to have a Morgan for a daily driver.