Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2007, 06:29 AM   #1

Replace 2.5 exhaust with 'S' system???

Hello, I've got a 1998 2.5 Boxster done 80k and now one of the welds just before the cat has started blowing. I tried to seal it with Gum Gum paste but its just blown off again?

Does anyone know if I can replace the cats and back box or the whole system with a Boxster 's' system as I've found one in a local scrap yard.

If anyone has a system for sale please also let me know.

I don't want the expense of putting a performance system on (would be nice though!).

Thanks.

martmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 01:23 PM   #2
Rennzenn

Garage
The mufflers are the same internally, so from a performance standpoint, there's no difference. The only difference is the appearance of the tail pipes. As for the catalytic converters, there are some major differences. The 2.5 is from cars '97-'99. These have two catalytic converters after the exhaust headers. The o2 sensors are fore and aft of these cats. For cars '00 and later, 4 cats are used, two for each side. The o2 sensors are on cats that are part of the exhaust headers. Because of this, the later cats could not be used on an earlier system without welding in bungs for the o2 sensors. I do not believe there is any hp gain from any part of the '00 and later system.
Emissions systems on all cars in the US are supposed to be guaranteed for 10 years...the Porsche dealer may (yeah, right) cover this.
If it were me, I'd try to have the cracked converter welded. If you are itching to spend some money, now would be a fine time to put aftermarket headers on the car.

j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote