986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   PPI help 2002 boxster (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11856)

cbenitah 06-23-2007 06:06 PM

PPI help 2002 boxster

(PPI- Pre Purchase Information) :)
I need some advice from you guys. I am actually looking into getting a boxster and found one I like. Its a 2002 boxster with 43000 miles on it. Is there anything I should be aware of for this years model? factory recalls leaking seals etc etc.... whatever you can think of :)

What would you expect to pay for it?

I will post pictures right after I have been looking at the car

Thanks for your help

JCL12 06-23-2007 07:07 PM

Expectation of pay - what options? There is a world of different between a base and a well loaded one (porsche loves nickel and diming)

As for issues, if the car hasn't had an RMS leak by 43K you are probably in the clear. Many of the major issues with the engine should be fixed by 2002, save the low probability (but horrible) IMS failure.

rick3000 06-23-2007 09:16 PM

What is the asking price?
What are the options?
I would also recommend investing in an extended warranty.

cbenitah 06-23-2007 09:25 PM

I'm not feeling to comfortable after that I went and looked at it. It is a great looking car, but somehow I feel I can get more Boxster for the same price or close..

Asking price $24 500

It has upgraded sound system. and all that goes with that, nothing major more than the front trunk button feel of.. haha.. Made me not like it more. Also new wheels but in the "wrong size" 205-40-17 in the front..

I am looking at 2001 boxster s now they are in the same price range, I'm looking to spend 25 000 on it..

Anyone got any ideas what go for? A newer boxster or an older boxster s?

Thanks all help is greatly appreciated!

cbenitah 06-23-2007 09:27 PM

it poped up on craigslist after a search...

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/car/355141099.html

Maxodus 06-24-2007 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbenitah
I'm not feeling to comfortable after that I went and looked at it. It is a great looking car, but somehow I feel I can get more Boxster for the same price or close..

Asking price $24 500

It has upgraded sound system. and all that goes with that, nothing major more than the front trunk button feel of.. haha.. Made me not like it more. Also new wheels but in the "wrong size" 205-40-17 in the front..

I am looking at 2001 boxster s now they are in the same price range, I'm looking to spend 25 000 on it..

Anyone got any ideas what go for? A newer boxster or an older boxster s?

Thanks all help is greatly appreciated!

...don't take the asking price too literally as most Boxsters are sold 10 to 15% under asking. i've been looking for the exact same year and configurations, and as long as the tires, brakes and paint are in near new conditions, that's a fair asking price in SoCal.

As for 2001 S, it really depends on what you want to do with the car now and later on. If you just want more HP and better brakes, the S is for you. They are also easier to resell, due to low price difference with the base model. But be prepared to find them in higher mileage than 2002s. However, if you are just looking for a touring type roadster and enjoy adding after-market upgrades to the car, then why pay extra for features you are not going to use.

To get back to the original question: in the PPI, watch out for RMS leak, brake pad and rotor wear (when were they last changed?), clutch wear (original clutch?), tire wear, paint condition, soft top/plastic window conditions, service history records (e.g. when was the last brake fluid flush, transmission flush, cooland flush, spark plug change etc) and . This should be a good list to start with and useful for haggling prices but i'll let the other members fill in any missing items.

Tom Blue 06-25-2007 04:02 AM

I bought a 2002 S with 43000 miles on it in April. The only problem it had besides needing tires was the boots on the rear axles were both cracked and the grease on the cv joints was missing.

This seems to be a common problem with the boots, they dry out and crack and the grease then gets thrown out. If this is the case, Porsche recommneds replacing the axles due tot he wear that occurs on the cv joints, this will cost around $2000. I've been told to spray silicone on them at every oil change to keep them in good shape.