986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what in the world is now broken? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11841)

ChrisZang 06-22-2007 09:17 AM

what in the world is now broken?

On my way to work I stopped at a grocery store.
When I came back to the car and started driving I noticed that the clutch pedal had lost some of it's "resistance".
Meaning it's now much easier to press the pedal (about half the effort as before)
The clutch is still working fine (at least that's the way it feels), but has a bit of a wobbly feeling.

Any ideas? Is this bad? What should I be checking?

djomlas 06-22-2007 09:26 AM

sorry for not answering your Q, i really am not sure, BUT damn man, 10 tires in 15 months?

porsche986spyder 06-22-2007 09:26 AM

Could be the Clutch Master Cylinder or Clutch cable is loose or slipping.

ChrisZang 06-22-2007 09:33 AM

Well, by now it's actually 18 months, I need to update my signature
When I bough the car, it came with bald tires, that's 4 new tires
Since then I put 22 k miles on it which meant additional 4 rears and 2 fronts, meaning a total of 10
Amazing what Auto-X and Track days and "spirited driving" can do :D
But I also have the feeling that the Yokohama AVS100 wear out *really* fast.

By now my rears are almost down to the wear markers, so here come the next two tires. I think I give the Bridgestone 050 PP a try...

Quote:

Originally Posted by djomlas
sorry for not answering your Q, i really am not sure, BUT damn man, 10 tires in 15 months?

MNBoxster 06-22-2007 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
Could be the Clutch Master Cylinder or Clutch cable is loose or slipping.

Hi,

There is no Clutch Cable in the Boxster - it's a Hydraulic Clutch. If it were the Clutch Master Cylinder, it's more likely that the Clutch would be inoperable.

I suspect the issue here is either old, hydrated, Brake Fluid (the Brake MC and Clutch MC share the same fluid reservoir), or that there is air in the system. In either case, a good Flush and Bleed is in order. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

ChrisZang 06-22-2007 01:24 PM

Yes, that's what the guys at my Porsche shop also said, so I'll be bleeding the clutch this weekend. Does anyone have a good DYI on bleeding the clutch? (actually I only need someone to point me how to locate the bleeder valve).

Thanks
Christopher

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

I suspect the issue here is either old, hydrated, Brake Fluid (the Brake MC and Clutch MC share the same fluid reservoir), or that there is air in the system. In either case, a good Flush and Bleed is in order. Hope this helps...

porsche986spyder 06-22-2007 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

There is no Clutch Cable in the Boxster - it's a Hudraulic Clutch. If it were the Clutch Master Cylinder, it's more likely that the Clutch would be inoperable.

Thanks Jim, I was wondering where the Clutch MC resevoir was. Now I know why I could never find it.

BoxsterBob - CA 06-22-2007 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisZang
Yes, that's what the guys at my Porsche shop also said, so I'll be bleeding the clutch this weekend. Does anyone have a good DYI on bleeding the clutch? (actually I only need someone to point me how to locate the bleeder valve).

Thanks
Christopher

Here's some info from Rennteck.org: Bleeding the clutch

ChrisZang 06-22-2007 03:22 PM

Hi Bob,

that's exactly what I was looking for :)

Many Thanks
Christopher

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxsterBob - CA
Here's some info from Rennteck.org: Bleeding the clutch

MNBoxster 06-22-2007 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisZang
Hi Bob,

that's exactly what I was looking for :)

Many Thanks
Christopher

Hi,

Chris, just be sure that you bleed both the Clutch and the Brakes. Leaving the old fluid in the Brake Lines will just contaminate the Clutch Line in short order...