986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Is a tire patch on a Michelin Pilot OK? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11702)

Spy4cia 06-13-2007 09:16 AM

Is a tire patch on a Michelin Pilot OK?

I occasionally drive very fast...and was wondering if a patch is OK? Only have 1800 miles on the tire...

Thanks,
Michael

insite 06-13-2007 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spy4cia
I occasionally drive very fast...and was wondering if a patch is OK? Only have 1800 miles on the tire...

as long as it's not on the sidewall, you're fine.

motoadve 06-13-2007 09:55 AM

Mine have had one for 5,000 km.
I push the car a lot and has been fine

kabel 06-13-2007 10:31 AM

Plugs are fine if done right and from the inside. I have a plug in one of my autox r-comp tires (for the miata) and it has held just fine for the last eight events.

steve00s 06-13-2007 10:37 AM

I was assured all would be fine if patched properly. Got this from one tire manufacturer:

"If all of the following below was completed by a competent tire professional, then the repair should be fine for the life of the tread.

The tire was thoroughly inspected prior to the repair, with the tire showing no signs of run low or run flat.
The puncture was ¼” diameter or smaller and in or near the center area of the tread.
The tire was properly repaired using a plug patch combination

Please note that the Tire should now be de-rated by one speed rating. So if you have a “W” (168 mph) speed rated tire- it should now be considered a “V” (149 mph). This maximum would be for the vehicle, even if the other three tires had the W rating or higher."

Falken Tire Corporation
Tim Widener - Product Engineer
Technical & Warranty assistance
email: TWidener@falkentire.com

drburton 06-13-2007 12:18 PM

I think there was a similar post to this recently.

My opinon is if you patch it and do spirited driving around town you will be fine, no worries.

Would I go to a DE event with a patched tire - hell no :eek:

SD987 06-13-2007 03:14 PM

After a spate of nail incidents in my first 15,000 miles on the 987S, by the time I switched my PS2s (due to tread wear) at about 18K I was running three patches, two in the right and one in the left. Never had an issue and I also tend to drive..."in an extremely spirited" fashion.

Thank god for TPMS, the most valuable option on my car an '06 (imo).

Incidentally, Discount tire (at least in my area) will patch tires for free as a goodwill gesture although I did tip the guys each time and ended up buying my replacements from them.

djomlas 06-13-2007 07:47 PM

yup, discount tire down the street from me does this for free as well...pretty nice,
but the place accross the street, literly accross the street, does it for $35