986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Autocross mishap (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11682)

r9i8c7k 06-12-2007 02:32 PM

Wow...the sound of the car hitting the ground is nerve wracking. All four...if it were my car I'd be convinced someone did it to me!!!!!!!!!

CJ_Boxster 06-12-2007 02:52 PM

Lmao!!! :d

kabel 06-12-2007 03:58 PM

Ok, to shed some light on what supposedly happened; another forum I frequent also hosts the Dixie Region forum and word is:
"He bought lug nuts by telling merchant what car, wheel, etc. Apparently they had the wrong threading. He could torque them to 80lbs and all seemed fine, right up until..." well, you know.

FrayAdjacent 06-12-2007 04:13 PM

I would think that if incorrect lugnuts were the cause... even if he could have torqued them on, the wheels would have had to be VERY loose to suffer that catastrophically, and that quickly.

humara 06-12-2007 04:25 PM

i'm going to go with
at least the motor didn't give up.

or

rx-7s are unreliable enough and don't need any help from operator error.

rick3000 06-12-2007 06:38 PM

If someone did that do me on purpose I would sue them. That would require new exhaust, brakes, etc. Not to mention getting the wheels realigned, and possible transmission damage. At least $5k+.

humara 06-12-2007 10:16 PM

if the tire knocks a cone over, does that count against you?

Thumper 06-13-2007 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humara
if the tire knocks a cone over, does that count against you?

Now that was funny. I do believe that you are assessed a penalty.

John V 06-13-2007 06:28 AM

If the car fails to make it through the course under its own power the driver is assessed a DNF.

blackkatt 06-13-2007 06:51 AM

I watched that video several times, and got a good chuckle out of it. It looks to me like that guy way over torqued the studs and they snapped as soon the load from turning hit them.

Dr. Kill 06-13-2007 06:57 AM

Do they not have tech inspections at autoX events? This would have been much more spectacular had it taken place at a DE event...

steve00s 06-13-2007 07:25 AM

After watching this a few more times I think it is staged. First, if you hand tighten the nuts it will take more than a few hundred yards before they work there way out. It was mentioned below that someone forgot to tighten the nuts and after a few MILES the tire started to wobble, NOT fall off. For the nuts to work themselves loose at exactly the same time is impossible given that different loads are placed on them through the first couple of turns. Also, about 55 seconds into it there is a panned out shot of the "rest" of the course and I don't see any cones. Could be poor video quality though. Lastly, there seems to be too much emphasis on the missing lug nuts. Everyone scrambling around to find the nuts?? In reality there would have been just one and people would have been laughing at him. If it is real than it is and its still pretty funny. My two cents.

Bavarian Motorist 06-13-2007 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Kill
Do they not have tech inspections at autoX events? This would have been much more spectacular had it taken place at a DE event...

That's the thing. They DO. And at PCA events, they actually have people come torque them for you.

At other events I've gone to, they just grab the wheel and try to make sure it's on securely.

Maybe this guy got an inspection and then changed his wheels...or maybe he was cocky, didn't get an inspection, and nobody noticed that his car wasn't marked.

Nice Rx-7 too.

LuisR 06-15-2007 01:19 PM

Guys,
Maybe this guy was going for his third or fourth run with loose lug nuts. But I think the bolts most have snapped of the hub!!! Regardless, I feel his pain!!!!