986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Racing Fuel (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11661)

NickCats 06-11-2007 07:44 AM

Racing Fuel

I was at the gas station this weekend and I noticed that they carried 110 octane racing fuel ( didn’t look at the price though ). I used to run this in my sportbikes sometimes, but never considered using it in a performance car…

I was wondering if there would be any advantage to running high octane gas in the Boxster ? Will it do any damage ?

Thanks,

Nick

Perfectlap 06-11-2007 08:50 AM

This is what the aftermarket parts makers put in the gas tank before they put it to the dyno test.

MNBoxster 06-11-2007 09:17 AM

Hi,

You usually won't suffer any ill effects, but if you're already using good gas, you won't see any appreciable benefits either.

A local station here is tied directly to a local refinery (Ashland Oil), and so they get the refinery's production overruns of Racing Fuel. When this happens, they'll heavily discount it. When they do this, as they did last week ($2.50/gal.), I usually fill up my Boxster and Esprit. The cars will run argueably a little smoother, but power and acceleration remains the same.

Without the overruns, it's normally priced a little above $5/gal., so I switch back to 93 Octane.

One caveat, there are usually only a few stations in town where it may be available. And, especially in the Midwest, they often use their underground Tanks seasonally, that is, they pump Racing Gas from them in the Summer months and usually Kerosene from the same tanks in the Winter months. So, you don't want to purchase it immediately after the switchover. I usually wait a month or so before I go looking for it to assure that any remaining Kerosene has been purged from the tanks. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

bmussatti 06-11-2007 09:34 AM

NickCats, the Delta Sonic (great car wash for the non-Boxster cars I own) station on Ogden Ave near Downers Grove has Racing Fuel. I think it is 103 Octane. It's about $6/gallon. I have never tried it, but was thinking the same thing as you when I first discovered it a few months ago.

racer_d 06-11-2007 12:06 PM

Make sure its UNLEADED first off.. 110 used to be leaded only, not sure if that is still the case.

Eitherway, you would notice mariginal if any performance improvements unless you've made other mods to take advantage of the higher octane. It won't necessarily hurt your motor, just your wallet ;)

NickCats 06-12-2007 04:50 AM

Thanks for the input, everybody !

It’s looks like there is no real benefit for the increase in cost, so I will pass.

Bmuss, I agree, the Delta Sonic on Ogden does a great job !

( I used to visit there frequently when I lived in Glen Ellyn )

Thanks again…

Nick

djomlas 06-12-2007 08:00 AM

i only used racing fuel when i went to the dragraces, other than that really no point in paying too much.