Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2007, 05:27 AM   #1

dry cleaning boxster

For those of you who enjoy keeping the Boxster pristine as much (or maybe better) than driving it, read on....

Since I put about 2k miles on my Box each year, I really do not wash the car that often. So I got into the habit of using detailing spray (with microfiber towels) after each drive. I bought different brands of detail spray (Mequires, NXT, etc) but they all looked the same. This week I bought TW Ice detail spray...it was twice the cost ( $10 vs $5), but it does shine much better than the others.

So if there are any other freaks out there like me...who go thru gallons of detail spray....you might wanna try this Ice stuff.

(I do not use the Ice wax....I'm still a #915 and #845 Collinite man)

porschegeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:40 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
did you try Zaino? by putting that one your process will be much easier too.
i go trough a lot of QD, but this time i bought one in aerosol can, its actually pretty nice
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:48 AM   #3

I used the turtle wax "ice" car wash since it was on sale at Target. I was only going to use it on the tires and wheel wells. It must have had some sort of additive that made made the tires dry shiny. Pretty cool.

For paint I go the rinse-less method as well but I use a waterless wash liquid in a spray bottle, pesticide sprayer or 2 gallon bucket.

There are a few good options: Poorboys, Adam's, Chemical Guys, Quick and Easy (QEW) and the most popular Optimum No Rinse. It's by far the cheapest route when using detailing sprays because it can be diluted for washing, claying or quick detailing. Just remember to close the cap tight or it might go bad, I just learned this the hard way.

I try to avoid using microfiber towels with the hooked ends and only use waffle weave micro fiber with the looped ends nowadays. Hooked MF is overkill for well maintained paint, its really for cleaning very filthy surfaces like in janitorial cleaning. And they are stubborn at coming clean. I often have to wash these towels two and three times and they are still not safe for the paint. The waffles usually come clean the first time.

and as always my LSP (last step product) is an anti-static spray that leaves the paint surfaces tooo slippery for dust. A quick rinse rolls most of dirt right off.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 05-30-2007 at 07:00 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:31 AM   #4

I use the Mr Clean Autodry for washing... because it WORKS!

I think the wax I recently got was Meguires NXT spray wax... If I have time this saturday, and the weather agrees... I'll wash the car and wax it. Maybe clay bar it before the wax... but I don't think I'll have time...

My car seriously needs me to put the SuperClean (TM) on it soon...

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote