986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   GT3 delet kit (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11440)

djomlas 05-29-2007 07:33 AM

GT3 delet kit

ok, so heres the deal....
i hate the look of it, and loosing storage space in this little car is bad, especially with not having a glove box.
BUT
i have a HUGEEEE bruise that is not going away from all the autoX events, every time i turn i hit my leg on that stupid thing, and its turning the bruise all different colors and just when its about to dissapear i go to autoX and its right back there for a good week or so.

i dont want to waste that much money on the real thing, so i will fab up my own, but i would like some dimensions or pics or anyhting related to this if anyone has any, or any impot on this....

should i also incorporate anything else to this while i am at it? i think i want to put an additional cig lighter hookup so that i can plug myu GPS in, i think thats a good idea, but anything else is up in the air.

any help with this is appreciated.

blinkwatt 05-29-2007 09:52 AM

Just call Sunset Imports,it's only around $110 for both parts from them. You could just buy the insert for the center console and build your own carpet cover piece but it's only $90 and by the time you buy supplies,use gas,and spend time building it your probably going to end up spending the same $.

FrayAdjacent 05-29-2007 10:00 AM

Methinks it shouldn't be TOO hard to 'slim' that part down... I think the bulges on the side of it could be reduced... that might make it more comfortable.

Perfectlap 05-29-2007 10:05 AM

I suggest slapping some grande bubble wrap on there when you Autox.

porsche986spyder 05-29-2007 11:35 AM

Okay, so what part is causing you bruises? On your knees? I thought that part was padded? Mine seems to be. The left side of the front console that is close to your legs? :confused:

racer_d 05-29-2007 11:37 AM

I didn't appreciate my knee rubbing against the console constantly. Then i autocrossed and really wanted the additional room. Sucked up the $$ and got the GT3 kit. Looks great. LOTS of additional room where I needed it. Fab one yourself or buy the factory one. Either way, the legroom is appreciated.

djomlas 05-29-2007 11:41 AM

a bruise is right under my knee, to the right, right lef of course.
it is padded, but once you wack it on there it really hurts...

i think that i can build all this for under 20 bux, so im not worried about the parts and all that.
i just cant seem to find the black carpeting, but i need some dimensions, and if i dont get any by the time i start building ill just go on my own and i wanted to document this as well, but i hope i get a new camera by then

Porschekid 05-29-2007 12:01 PM

Got a pic of this installed? I'm having trouble following.

racer_d 05-29-2007 01:08 PM

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code =gt3console&Category_Code=POTEBXIN

-Pics, Prices, etc.. notice the "deleted" center console in front of the shifter, below the radio.

Enhances leg/knee room by providing about 6-8 inches more room.

musicboy 05-29-2007 02:56 PM

Much more better!!

I have removed my upper center console in anticipation of receiving my GT3 console delete kit ($94 + shipping from Sunset Imports - they have to special order it so it takes about a month). At 6'2", my leg was not only rubbing but I had difficulty making right hand turns because my knee got in the way of my hand ( I am not exactly well coordinated). Pulled the parts, went for a drive, and the smile returned to my face. Highly recommended if you find the console confining. Really ugly until the parts come in.