Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2007, 05:45 AM   #1

Question wierd "stuttering" problem

Hi guys,

i've had a strange problem that has only come up twice so far, but i'm wondering if anyone else has had the same thing happen to them, and whether or not i should get it checked out.

Basically, when i started to reverse out of my garage today, the car started "stuttering" or "coughing" (i dont know how else to explain it), kind of like what starts to happen when a manual car is going to stall. I looked back, and there was also a bit of smoke that was coming out the back.

I immediately put the car in "park" and let it sit on idle and the smoke cleared and the problem seemed to go away, i am not sure what to make of it? is there a problem with the fuel pump?

has anyone else had sometihng like this happen to them? i cant see any problems with the car, she runs just like normal after this happened but i really dont have the experience to make any calls, i bought her from a trusted friend and he's had it serviced and checked very well throughout its life.

any help/advice would be appreciated.

btw, its a tip-tronic 2000 boxster base model.

Thanks
Sab

Last edited by shaka; 05-27-2007 at 05:47 AM. Reason: typos, more clarification
shaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 06:42 AM   #2

If it's only happened twice and no check engine light or shift indicator lights flashing for the tiptronic I wouldn't worry about it. Just monitor the problem and if it gets worse or more frequent then get it checked out.
wvicary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 06:42 AM   #3

Are you starting it up and immediately putting it in reverse?

It's well known our engines can get a little oil settling in the cylinder heads, due to the flat arrangement... and she can puff some oil at startup.

If so, you might let the engine run for 30 seconds or so before shifting to R.

I would also recommend putting it in service mode, and check the AOS, clean the MAF, and check the throttle body.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 02:50 AM   #4

thankyou both for your replies, i really appreciate your help.

yes, i am starting and immediately putting it into R, i'll give it a minute or so from now and hopefully, that will take care of the problem.

thanks again.
sab
shaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 04:03 AM   #5

Being new to the Boxster Community, stupid and not afraid to show it: what is the Service Mode as mentioned above? Thanks, Ed
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvhs18472
Being new to the Boxster Community, stupid and not afraid to show it: what is the Service Mode as mentioned above? Thanks, Ed

Ed- 'Service Mode' is how you get into the engine from the top.

(to get into Service Mode, unlatch the top, and open it about 16" from the top of the windsheild. The rear deck cover needs to be fully UP. On either side of the top, below the 'rim', there is a black cable with a ball joint close to the cabin of the car. Pop those of, then remove the back 'skirt' of the top, then you can fold the back of the top upward. Then you can remove your rear storage bin if you have it, then the engine cover - voila! You're looking at the topside of your engine!)

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:24 AM   #7

Thanks, I've done that changing filters. I just didn't know that is was called Service Mode.
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 02:12 PM   #8

My 2001 base tip also does this once in a while. It seems to only happen during a cold start up and then immediately putting it in reverse. I have tried but I cannot duplicate the loping on command. Strange.

shaman1204 is offline   Reply With Quote