986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   thank you Brembo (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11363)

djomlas 05-23-2007 06:32 PM

thank you Brembo

for making pad change too damn easy. once you do the 1st one and see what u have to do it takes about 2-3 minutes per caliper to change these, so i dont know why would anyone pay anyobody a dollar to change out their pads, if you can take your wheel off, check psi in your tires, you can do this.
so i got new pads but never got time to change them, so today i finally did.
i noticed at the autoX that i really dont have that stopping power that porsche should have, somethign felt jsut alittle too weird, and being in patricks S didnt help hahah.
so i changed the pads today, and check out in what condition they were in.
the front ones were i would say halfway burned, and back ones were... well just look, light was just waiting to go off.
made sure to tap the brakes a few times (i was w a friend when he was changing pads on his car, and he rolled into his dads new truck after a brake change, that wasnt fun to watch)
took the car for a spin,and WOW, night and day diff.
sometimes soon patrick (Sammy on here) will bleed my brake fluid, so that should help too

http://i11.tinypic.com/5yju6gl.jpg
http://i14.tinypic.com/66jxs75.jpg

racer_d 05-23-2007 07:00 PM

Get a Motive Power Bleeder and having a dealer flush your brakes will be a thing of the past. Some of this stuff is so damn simple, you'd be foolish to pay someone to do it for you!

djomlas 05-23-2007 07:28 PM

well patrick has a power bleeder, so ill see how he does it, im gonna buff out some scratches on his car and hell bleed my brake fluid, then some BBQ and its a nice day.
hopefully nick can make it out as well :)

porschedude 05-23-2007 07:37 PM

Yeah, I agree...brake pad change is so simple. Don't even need to take out the calipers like other cars. I did all 4 wheels in my sleep. I don't know how dealer can charge so much. Brake fluid flush is also easy if you have the power bleeder.

NickCats 05-24-2007 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djomlas
well patrick has a power bleeder, so ill see how he does it, im gonna buff out some scratches on his car and hell bleed my brake fluid, then some BBQ and its a nice day.
hopefully nick can make it out as well :)

dj - Count me in :D

Nick

djomlas 05-24-2007 08:31 AM

alrighttt Nick.
just make sure to keep your old man away from the car, i dont wanna take out more scratches :)

Perfectlap 05-24-2007 08:59 AM

I kinda think Brembo knew allot of these cars do double duty as street and track mobiles so they came up with a fast way of changing the pads. With a rechargable impact gun and race jack you can do the whole street to track wheels/pads conversion in a flash.
Those bleeders are dirt cheap. Considering its a good idea to this yearly, its a good investment.

I really wish (hint...) someone filmed all these easy DIY onto YouTube.

John V 05-24-2007 09:54 AM

Nothing magic about the Brembos. The brakes on my 1987 RX-7 turbo were exactly the same in terms of pad changes. Just pull the pins and slide out the pads. It's the wonderfulness of monoblock calipers that gives us this convenience, not to mention the great brake feel.

Did you remember to use a micrometer to measure the rotor thickness? I know you did... :cool:

Another tip for everyone else out there - wrap the caliper in a towel and crack the bleed screws when you put the new pads in. This makes it easier for the pistons to retract when inserting the new pad and prevents any moisture or debris from back-flushing into the ABS unit (unlikely, but possible).

CJ_Boxster 05-24-2007 10:00 AM

I usually remove the cap from the reseviour up top and used a caliper piston spreader to push them back in the calipers.

John V 05-24-2007 10:39 AM

You should always crack the bleed screws. You don't want debris going back upstream to the abs unit / master cylinder.

bmussatti 05-24-2007 10:48 AM

Hey DJ, I'll buy you a Power Bleeder if you teach me how to change pads and get Sammy to teach me how to change the brake fluid.

Sammy 05-24-2007 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmussatti
Hey DJ, I'll buy you a Power Bleeder if you teach me how to change pads and get Sammy to teach me how to change the brake fluid.

Unfortunately with your fancy schmancy 987 you need a PST tool to actuate the ABS to get all the brake fluid out. I don't have a PST tool. :(

Anyone, how big of a deal is it to flush the system by clearing out the ABS module? It sounds important to me as the goal is to get all the old fluid out, but hey, you never now?

Or even better, how much is a PST tool?

Wonko The Sane 05-24-2007 09:29 PM

Just a note: One of the best things you can do to improve your braking performance is to put on stainless steel lines. I changed my pads/rotors one week, then finally got a chance to change the lines/fluid the following week... The pads/rotors were a decent improvement, but changing out the brake lines was NIGHT AND DAY.

djomlas 05-24-2007 10:32 PM

how much did that cost you? the lines

der Geist 05-26-2007 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djomlas
how much did that cost you? the lines

You can get new lines for less than $70 shipped from a ton of companies.

Perfectlap 05-26-2007 10:11 AM

I did the ss brake lines in a previous car and it felt better in autox/track but it made the brake a little tough for street use. Took away that cushy feeling. One of the only mods I had reversed back to stock.

boggtown 05-26-2007 12:02 PM

Uh oh... wait till MNB hears about that. He gave me a ton of reasons why not to buy SS brake lines, maybe he will chime in.