986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   New Painted Bumperettes (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11252)

blinkwatt 05-17-2007 11:30 AM

New Painted Bumperettes

So the shop finally painted my bumperettes the correct color and I'm happy with the results! Here are some before & after pics. The shop wanted $150/set originally to paint them,but the messed up by painting my Boxster ones Lapis Blue,so they sold the first for $150/set then they painted the 2nd set(Dad wanted his painted as well) for $75 so it all worked out in the end. Enjoy!

Does anyone know if the clearance between the bumperette and actual bumper is normal in the last pic? I would have sworn that the bumperettes sat a little closer to the bumper.

Boxtaboy 05-17-2007 11:35 AM

Looks great blink! The clearance thing is similar on mine. I'm not sure if it's because after they're painted they shrink a bit, or if it just seems like less of a gap when they're in black. In any case, it looks nice. Congrats.

bmussatti 05-17-2007 11:36 AM

Looks very good, Blink! The bumperettes should sit more flush with the bumper cover.

blinkwatt 05-17-2007 11:44 AM

Well I just looked at old pics of my car with them one and it looks like I mispositioned the driver side bumperette a little too far to the right. Oh well,it's already fixed already!

:cheers:

(I found this old one before anything was even touched,looks like there was a tiny gap to begin with. You can't even tell unless you are up close anyways.)

conradtan 05-17-2007 12:14 PM

Damn that looks good. I need to get that done! :cheers:

blinkwatt 05-17-2007 01:00 PM

Just for the heck of it!

BoxsterBob - CA 05-17-2007 02:38 PM

Very nice! I'm tempted to do the same.

fab 05-17-2007 02:44 PM

Painted bumperettes makes the car look so much nicer. Very nice

Boxtaboy 05-17-2007 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fab
Painted bumperettes makes the car look so much nicer. Very nice

I agree. I love my painted bumperettes. IMO, makes the car look more modern and finished.

http://i14.tinypic.com/4ktfeva.jpg

SC986 05-17-2007 03:20 PM

Looks great, congrats. Those two parked together make a sweet two car garage!

ddb 05-17-2007 03:34 PM

The fit on my painted Bumperettes is very similar to yours.

ddb

super66 05-17-2007 04:49 PM

looks great.....imo I can't believe when people don't get it done over a couple hundred bucks, it makes the car look more than a couple hundred bucks better....the bang for the buck is definitely there.......

the cars do look great together.....

blkboxster 05-17-2007 05:06 PM

man that 911 looks very nice :D

fab 05-18-2007 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by super66
looks great.....imo I can't believe when people don't get it done over a couple hundred bucks, it makes the car look more than a couple hundred bucks better....the bang for the buck is definitely there.......

the cars do look great together.....

My autobody shop, had my car for a few weeks they did some paint work on my car. I totally forgot to ask for the bumperettes to be painted so when I picked up my car I asked to have my bumperettes painted. When I picked them up later on the owner said your all set. I got my painted for FREE.

porsche986spyder 05-18-2007 06:18 AM

Those look great! I have the same small gap on mine. Can't get them any closer.

Boxtaboy 05-18-2007 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
Those look great! I have the same small gap on mine. Can't get them any closer.

If anyone is really anal, you can get the gap smaller. What you can do is loosen up screws that secure the rear bumper and pull it back a bit. To do this, you'll have to also remove the rear spoiler so that you can get to the screws that secure the bumper from the top. This way, the bumperettes will fit more flush with the rear bumper. I did this. Guess I'm OCD. :D

Perfectlap 05-18-2007 07:52 AM

been wanting to do this mod but I have been backed into a couple of times recently. I'll have to repaint my rear bumper after the 2nd mishap....oh the agony!

Lil bastard 03-07-2008 11:37 AM

I picked up a set of perfect bumperettes on CL for $20 just to have as a spare (if I ever needed them I figured they'd be way more than $20 from a Dealer). But, I'm thinking of painting them or having them done. This way, I can mix it up and change the look should I want.

To those who have done it, what is the procedure? Are they sanded then primed first or do you go straight to the color coat (Guards Red)? Are they clearcoated after this? Any worries about cracking clear vs just color coat? Anyone find color-matching 'plastic' paint from krylon and such?

If a shop did them, is there any flexible type special paint which is used that I should ask specifically for? Did the shop sand them, or was that something you must do in advance?

Any info is much appreciated. TIA

Allen K. Littlefield 03-07-2008 04:57 PM

Lil, B, you need to have them mix flex into the paint as the bumperettes can move. I did not have mine sanded so you can see the texture under the silver/clear coat but it does not bother me. You can spend the time and sand them smooth or have the shop do it for you. A nice upgrade mod for little money and the newer cars come with them painted. I have a set of '03 side vent covers to paint as soon as the weather gets warm and I believe that will finish my mods (at least for the time being).

AKL :cheers:

blinkwatt 03-15-2008 01:53 PM

I don't know exactly what the shop used but I know this;

-Sanded smooth

-Painted

-Three coats of clear coat to match the car's German finish