Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2007, 04:53 PM   #1

Exclamation Simple Question

Whats a core exchange??

I'm replacing my blown 2.5L with a new 2.5L and the dealer mentioned a core exchange and how this method is cheaper.

Thanks all..

batmanboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 04:57 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
That means you give them your old engine. If you dont, then the price is way higher.... Chances are the engine you are buying from them is a rebuilt engine they recieved as a core in the past, and your broken 2.5 will be rebuilt and sold to someone else and core will be requests.... THE CIRCLE OF LIFEEEEEEEEE

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 05:24 PM   #3

Exclamation

hmm..that makes sense. I have a question though. Will my new 2.5L rebuilt engine come with a better Intermediate shaft, Rear Main seal etc?? Basically, are all the flaws of the original 2.5 resolved in the rebuilt one?
batmanboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 06:47 PM   #4

It's not just more expensive, it's usually required. Say your new engine is $5K and the core charge is $1K. When you buy the engine you will pay the full $6K. When you return the core, you get $1K of your money back. The thing to be careful with is the time limit. Most places give you 30-60 days to return the blown engine so you have to take care of everything pretty quickly.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:06 AM   #5

Typically it aslo must be a rebuilable core.
johne4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:49 AM   #6

has nobody tried to rebuild the engine themselves? just curious...
for 5-6k I think it would cross my mind as a winter project or something.

http://i40.tinypic.com/ei6sns.jpg
pompous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 04:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompous
has nobody tried to rebuild the engine themselves? just curious...
for 5-6k I think it would cross my mind as a winter project or something.

Very good point. I would love to do my own engine rebuild when the time comes. I've got a ways to go though with only 38,005 miles on my 3.2L M96.21

2000SoCalBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 04:38 AM   #8

the problems are parts availability and cost. concensus is that it's as expensive to rebuild one as it is to replace one. see this thread:

http://boxcar-racing.com/forum/index.php?topic=424.0

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:35 AM   #9

A quick look through the ******************************************** parts catalog indicate that you can get everything you need to rebuild your motor. Adding up the cost of the soft parts such as bearings, seals, gasket, etc and even adding new pistons and rings comes to less then a grand. But for the hard parts thats a different story.........3k for a crank?.............

I guess the question is when is it worth rebuilding versus replacing.......

In my opinion if you are rebuilding your motor because it is worned out i.e. low compression, oil blow-by, low oil pressue and the motor is still running, then yes I would rebuild my motor.

Now, if you wait till it blows up damaging internals, you probably better off replacing the motor with a remanufacture or new one.

Last edited by johne4; 05-15-2007 at 07:37 AM.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:10 AM   #10

I would also factor in the cost of the various tools/equipment needed for the rebuild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johne4
A quick look through the ******************************************** parts catalog indicate that you can get everything you need to rebuild your motor. Adding up the cost of the soft parts such as bearings, seals, gasket, etc and even adding new pistons and rings comes to less then a grand. But for the hard parts thats a different story.........3k for a crank?.............

In my opinion if you are rebuilding your motor because it is worned out i.e. low compression, oil blow-by, low oil pressue and the motor is still running, then yes I would rebuild my motor.

Now, if you wait till it blows up damaging internals, you probably better off replacing the motor with a remanufacture or new one.
alikhan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:17 AM   #11

IOW, as long as you don't need a new crank... it's probably worth rebuilding...

But in a blown engine scenario, you won't really know if your crank is damaged or not without a LOT of work (tearing down the engine).

So I agree with Johne4. Wear or loss of compression? Rebuild. Blown due to slipped sleeve or something else? Replace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johne4

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 07:32 AM   #12

Quote:

"has nobody tried to rebuild the engine themselves? just curious...
for 5-6k I think it would cross my mind as a winter project or something."

Originally Posted by pompous

I'm game to rebuild one, but my engine is still going strong (70K, hope I didn't jinx myself) I looked around for a used one, all above $4K, what I'd like to do, is possibly purchase an engine that will be used as a core return.

So if anyone as a 2.7 that was going to be exchange for its core, I be willing to purchase it from you for the core charge.

Thanks
Old 05-16-2007, 07:41 AM   #13

Smile

As I understand it, you don't buy a "rebuilt" engine from Porsche, you buy a remanufactured engine. This means that the core of the engine is new, the peripherals like the FI, exhaust are refurbed.

Now, if you are buying from someone else, I have no idea what you are getting and you likely don't either. As I understand it, Porsche makes it very hard to rebuild an engine, in that they don't regularly sell OEM internals to the rebuilders.

Hence, I think if you are buying from a rebuilder, he has to source the parts from the aftermarket.

I believe the above is correct.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote