Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2007, 01:51 PM   #1

Plastic Window & Engine Heat?

I'm new to the Boxster (and the forum), and a friend of mine who's had one for some time recommended putting a towel rolled around a cylinder of foam in the back window as the top goes down to keep the folded portions of the window separated when it's down. I think he said the heat from the engine can cause the two halves to fuse together.

I searched the forum, but didn't find any references to that. Does anyone have any suggestions for doing it or not?

OldBlevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:58 PM   #2

some people do that with other cars, but most cars have glass windows nowadays.

my thought is that you should only have the top down when you are actually in it.
I don't use a foam tube or get out of the car to do the window chop.
If the ambient temp is above 70 it will bend correctly if you give it a chance to develop a "memory" of where to bend. If its below 70 you should warm up the cockpit (by driving, not letting it idle in park) and then once the top has been heated lower the top.

I wouldn't worry about the engine melting the plastic at all.

p.s.
don't wash the canvas with any kind of soap. Use the Raggtopp cleanser and rinse it weekly or whenver you can see the dirt on there. Dust is the big enemy.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:59 PM   #3

hmm

I have a plastic top, and i haven't encountered that problem yet. There is alot of insulation between the engine and the top. You souldn't have to worry about that.

2000 Porsche Boxster
Litronics
Evo Intake
Chrome Front Grill
18" Turbo Twists
Custom Dual Magnaflow Exhaust
Custom Rear Diffuser

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/6...umpic23bg5.gif
Where's my car? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 02:03 PM   #4

Thanks. I ordered some Raggtopp and Plexus earlier today, so I'm set there - but I didn't know about warming up the top before putting it down. The car is a 2000, but it only has 16,000 miles on it, so I don't know if the plastic has developed a memory or not. I'll take the safe bet on this and warm it up.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:08 PM   #5

did you get the Raggtopp kit? its two different products, the cleanser and the protectant. You need both. Use a super soft brush like an OXO or a boars hair to scrub.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 02:11 PM   #6

Yes, I ordered the kit - I take it that doesn't include the brush you recommend. What's a good place to get that?
Old 05-23-2007, 02:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
did you get the Raggtopp kit? its two different products, the cleanser and the protectant. You need both. Use a super soft brush like an OXO or a boars hair to scrub.
Porsche makes a good plastic window conditioner. I bought some a few months ago. Works great on clearing up the visibility too. Removes small scratches and swirl marks. It's like a shampoo for the window. It should help in keeping it nice and soft and from cracking. I put some on once a month. It's about $10.00 at the dealership.

Just make sure the plastic window doesn't crimp up and together on itself when the top goes down and you should be okay.

Last edited by porsche986spyder; 05-23-2007 at 02:22 PM.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote