Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2007, 06:36 PM   #1

Water Pump Question

Hi Guys,

I'm hearing a strange sound when the car is idling, sounds like a gear starting to go bad, the noise doesn't get any louder when driving and i only hear it from inside the car. I verified everything (to the best of my knowledge which isn't much )and the only thing i can think of is the water pump, is it starting to go bad, I sure hope it ain't something inside the engine that is starting to fail

My question to you guys is, has anyone experience a similar noise or replaced the water pump, and at what mileage and how do we notice it's starting to go, besides being stranded on the side of the road, or could it be something else

Any thoughts

Thanks

2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 05:31 AM   #2

Without actually hearing the sound up close I don't think anyone could give you good advice on this problem. However, if it's the water pump the car should be or very soon will be running hot. This is something you should watch for.

If it is your water (coolant pump) you will need to remove the passenger seat and engine access panel behind the seats to remove it and install a new one. Your coolant pump is behind the lower-left most pulley when looking at your serpentine belt from inside the car. Maybe pull the access hatch off and listen to it while the engine is running?
2000SoCalBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:09 AM   #3

does it make the sound regardless of whether the car is in gear? FYI, when my water pump went, it made no noise; it just started to leak. still, though, i'd remove the panel behind the seats, start the car and listen. it could be a water pump, alternator, power steering pump, ac compressor, idle pulley, etc. it should be fairly apparent if it's one of these ancilliaries.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:43 AM   #4

Probably not the water pump unless the pulley is loose or something. Mine bust at 71k while I was driving from Chicago to New Orleans with no overheating (middle of winter) and the only indication of failure was the spewing antifreeze when I stopped in Memphis for lunch. You wouldn't hear the water pump fail, you'd see it.

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/641/grille9vq.jpg
Tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 09:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by insite
does it make the sound regardless of whether the car is in gear? FYI, when my water pump went, it made no noise; it just started to leak. still, though, i'd remove the panel behind the seats, start the car and listen. it could be a water pump, alternator, power steering pump, ac compressor, idle pulley, etc. it should be fairly apparent if it's one of these ancilliaries.
Hi, Yes it makes the noise regardless .

Thanks guys, I know it's difficult to pin point where the noise is coming from without actually hearing it, but your opinions are always helpful.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:50 AM   #6

Here is a picture that shows all the components.
johne4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:04 AM   #7

Hi Guys, OK yesterday when installing the new MAF i noticed the sound came from the top black T shaped section of the air intake in the center of the engine, Sorry i don't know what it's called.
I checked for any leaks and nothing ,it's more like a constant vacuum suction type of noise coming from inside.

Any other ideas guys.

Thanks
Old 05-17-2007, 09:45 AM   #8

Oxygen sensor

I just replaced my first two Oxygen Sensors after my engine light came on, Any of you had to replace your Oxygen Sensors?? Light came on around 75 thousand miles
Where's my car? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:52 AM   #9

It sounds to me like you could have a failing Air Oil Separator. It sometimes makes a squeaking noise when it's failing. Is there any oil around your throttle body?

If I even SUSPECTED my AOS was going bad, I'd replace that bad boy.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 01:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent
It sounds to me like you could have a failing Air Oil Separator. It sometimes makes a squeaking noise when it's failing. Is there any oil around your throttle body?

If I even SUSPECTED my AOS was going bad, I'd replace that bad boy.
Thanks but no i didn't see any oil around the throttle body.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco
Hi Guys, OK yesterday when installing the new MAF i noticed the sound came from the top black T shaped section of the air intake in the center of the engine, Sorry i don't know what it's called.
I checked for any leaks and nothing ,it's more like a constant vacuum suction type of noise coming from inside.

Any other ideas guys.

Thanks
Anyone other thoughts
Old 05-18-2007, 04:24 PM   #12

I had a similiar thing happen, sounded it like if was coming from the intake, I disconnected the big vaccum hose at the throttle body and plugged it, noise gone, figured it was the oil sperator, while pondering the task at hand, i noticed oil spray on the rear fire wall, the filler hose was broke off, I disconnected at the middle section and plugged it and the noise was gone, new hose on order from Zims, $30 bucks.
johne4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 01:17 PM   #13

The same thing just happened to my '04 non-S. I could distinctly hear it from inside the cabin and it sounds like sucking through a straw or a couple pebbles being shaken around a plastic cup. Definitely came from the right intake area. Called the dealer and they suspected might be a loose muffler baffle or bad cat, and 30 miles isn't far, so they said should be safe to drive in.

Three miles out from dealer on the freeway, my coolant blew and temp shot up. They said they bet the noise was the water pump failing, and I've got a '06 Cayenne S for the next couple days. Oh yeah, and it appears the A/C compressor went out on this 86 degree CA day.

When the dealer calls to let me know exaact what the problem is, I will follow-up.

Oh yeah, and my chassis has 27K miles, and the engine has 12K miles. I absolutely love Porsches, and I love my Boxster, but this is the third time it's been back to the dealer...engine replacement at 15K because intermediate shaft blew, oil leak at 4K on new engine, and this at 12K. Makes me wonder if I should have gotten an S2000 and saved a couple thousand dollars...

Andy

Last edited by hamstur; 05-21-2007 at 01:21 PM.
hamstur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 03:20 PM   #14

Porsche dealer just called. It was the water pump and it's already fixed.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:54 AM   #15

Hi Andy, On my way to work this morning i started to hear a couple pebbles being shaken around a plastic cup, if it is the water pump i guess i don't have much time left before something blows.

Andy when you said my coolant blew,what did you mean

Thanks a

Franco
Old 05-23-2007, 06:55 AM   #16

I drove my extraordinarily chic and elegant Civic to work today, so I don't have the service diagnostic on-hand.

If I had to guess off the top of my head, the noise was the bearing losing its way, and it was a very short matter of time before it failed. The moment it did, the shaft immediately tore up the hose, and all the coolant pumped out within a matter of seconds. I didn't initially suspect the pump because they last 100-150K miles.

Andy
Old 06-01-2007, 08:16 PM   #17

Thumbs up

Hi, I replaced the Water Pump, Coolant, Poly-rib Belt and noise is gone, the old Water Pump's bearing was shotttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.

Thanks to all