Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2007, 04:43 PM   #1

Becker Aftermarket Head Units

Hello All -

Happy owner of an Arctic Silver 2003 Boxster S, going on about a month now. Weather down here in Atlanta is perfect for driving with the top down of late now that the pollen has cleared out!

I posted a little while back about iPod integration, and am just getting back to the issue. I know about the Dension unit and the 2spec5 ashtray unit, but would prefer to just put in a new head unit that does it all.

It seems that Becker has some European Spec head units that look almost identical to our stock porsche head-units (I have the CDR-23), but with integrated iPod and Bluetooth. I believe they are called the Becker 'Grand Prix' and 'Cascade' series. Seems like the only difference in the two is that the Cascade has integrated navigation (both in a standard DIN size unit).

Does anyone have any personal experience with either of these? WIll they fit up to our fiber-optic sound system without any modification? Can anyone suggest where in the US I might pick one up?

I have had some luck finding UK shops that carry them, one example is http://www.beckerwarehouse.co.uk/products/becker_grand_prix_7995, which is asking $299 BP ($600 US) plus shipping.

Some input is greatly appreciated...

ATL_986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 05:17 AM   #2

I dont know specifically on these, but I'm going to assume that since you have a MOST bus equipped car there would have to be both compatability and subsequent programming required to key the radio to the immobilizier.

Your other option is to go with a "normal" (non fiber optic) head unit, and just replace the amp (s) as well.

Patrick

Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote