Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2007, 02:23 PM   #1
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Center Console Hinged Lid ?

Hi All,

I ordered a new center console a couple of weeks ago and received it today. I've removed the old console and transferred all of the needed parts already except the hinged storage compartment cover. I assume this is original hardware on my 2000 because I don't see a way to remove the assembly. Am I missing something or do I need to BREAK the old assembly to get it off, then re-install it on the new console using the much read about hinge repair kit?

Thanks,

ddb

ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:45 PM   #2

Replacement kit is $38 at the dealer. I accidentally broke lid part off is how I know. You will need a rivet tool, a drill, and a steady hand. The dealer will explain how to install it. Took the guys at the dealer 20 minutes.
conradtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb
Hi All,

I ordered a new center console a couple of weeks ago and received it today. I've removed the old console and transferred all of the needed parts already except the hinged storage compartment cover. I assume this is original hardware on my 2000 because I don't see a way to remove the assembly. Am I missing something or do I need to BREAK the old assembly to get it off, then re-install it on the new console using the much read about hinge repair kit?

Thanks,

ddb
I too would like to know this. I bought my car used with this part already broken. I still need to get it fixed but can't figure out the hidge part either. I have some zip ties holding mine on right now. Does the trick but I hate opening it. Keeps reminding me how crapy looks when opened. Anyone know the part number or where I can get one of those embosed Porsche logos on the center part of the leather also while we are asking about this part. Sorry, didn't mean to highjack your thread.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 03:07 PM   #4
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Guys,

My hinged cover isn't broken, yet. I'm asuming it is original and has never been broken. Do I need to break it to remove it? I need to install it on the new center console.

I just want to make sure I'm not missing something and there is a way to remove it, without breaking it.

Thanks,

ddb
Old 05-08-2007, 04:11 PM   #5

no you don't have to break the hinge...you have to remove the lid cover and then use a punch to knock the pin out that holds the cover on.

here is a link for instructions that covers the hinge fix but also applies to your case i believe

Oddments Tray Cover Removal

Here is a pic i found of what the hinge replacement piece looks like...

Oddments Tray Repair Hinge

I had to fix my console and bought the part from the dealer but after looking at the thing I thought I could have went to ace hardware and made something that would have worked just as well and saved myself $30...

Last edited by idheaton; 05-08-2007 at 04:13 PM.
idheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:36 PM   #6
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
idheaton,

Thanks very much! I hoped there would be a way to remove the cover without breaking it, but didn't think to remove the torx screws on the inside of the cover. This clears up a lot for me.

Thanks again,

ddb
Old 05-08-2007, 05:08 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Travis
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
or where I can get one of those embosed Porsche logos on the center part of the leather also while we are asking about this part. Sorry, didn't mean to highjack your thread.
Maybe this. . . . http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-911-996-Boxster-Leather-Oddments-Tray-Lid-Cover_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ40017QQihZ020QQit emZ300109283560QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:40 PM   #8

Here's a thread on Renntech with some good pictures of the procedure:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=245

If you can avoid breaking yours, you will save the cost of the replacement part. I also had to buy a rivet gun to complete the repair.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 07:04 PM   #9
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Thanks for the thread Kevin. It is very helpful. If all goes as planned, I will be able to remove the cover from the old console, purchase a hinge kit from my local dealer, and re-install the cover on the new console. Hopefully I won't break anything.

ddb
Old 05-08-2007, 07:39 PM   #10

Son Of A B***h

The same thing happened to me, and didnt notice the hinge or lack their of either UNTIL I GOT IT INSTALLED!

The Porsche Dealer didnt know anything about it but send me a part that was suppose to be a replacement part.....

So, not wanting to remove the console and put the crappy one back in I made my own...Similar to what is being pictures. not bad looking at all.

But it sure didnt sit right with me, having been sold a part like that.
Dohertycm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:27 AM   #11

That is close, but I was looking for the black on black embosed. Thanks anyway.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:41 PM   #12
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Thanks for all of the help.

I picked up the hinge kit this afternoon and installed it very easily and quickly. I agree it is a lot of money for some relatively simple parts. I however don't have the time and talent to fab up something that would work as well.

I'm attaching a picture of the repair kit for future reference.

Thanks,

Derek

Old 05-09-2007, 04:51 PM   #13

I bought my car used, so I can't complain very loudly. But, if I had paid close to $50,000 for a car, I would have expected Porsche to design the "oddments tray" cover with a metal hinge.

The fact that they make a replacement kit tells you that the part fails fairly frequently. Fortunately, it is a relatively easy repair - much simpler than I expected.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
Old 05-09-2007, 05:11 PM   #14
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
When I called my local dealer this morning they told me they had sold their last repair kit in stock earlier this week. I asked him how often they move these kits and he said on a regular basis - much cheaper to replace the hinge versus the whole console.

I drove to another town that had the kit in stock. My local dealer said he would have replacement kits early next week, but I didn't want to wait.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:32 PM   #15

I paid $25.31 ($19.31 for the part and $6.00 for shipping) from Suncoast Porsche in Florida. I think Sunset Porsche in Oregon might have had the part for less. I didn't check with the dealer in this area, but I assume they would have been a little higher. Plus, I can never get to the parts department during the week when they are open.

The repair kit is a good design. I just don't understand why they couldn't have used a metal part to start with. I thought I read somewhere that the 924's had a weak hinge on the center console as well. So it sounds like Porsche has a bit of a history with this.