986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   refinishing colored center caps (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11086)

shaman1204 05-07-2007 04:54 PM

refinishing colored center caps

I plan a painting my rims this weekend (ala Djlomas) and while planning my attack I noticed my center caps were in pretty bad shape and I was wondering if they can be refinished. They look pretty faded, like the sun has clouded the laquer finish. Attached are a few pics of the caps. And yes, I know I need to clean the brake dust, hence the wheels being painted black.

djomlas 05-07-2007 06:03 PM

black wheels? booo :D
hehehe
flat black or glossy?

Allen K. Littlefield 05-07-2007 06:13 PM

Blue Magic?

You might try a little Blue Magic metal polish on them after you get a payloader in there to remove the brake dust. One of the most annoying things on my '02 Boxcar is the brake dust! It seems you cannot do a few hard stops without the silver wheels taking on a tan cast from the dust build up. BTW the Blue Magic really makes the hood crest shine.

AKL

shaman1204 05-07-2007 06:18 PM

glossy black. Do you think I need to put clearcoat on over the enamel, or the is the paint enough by itself?

djomlas 05-07-2007 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allen K. Littlefield
One of the most annoying things on my '02 Boxcar is the brake dust! It seems you cannot do a few hard stops without the silver wheels taking on a tan cast from the dust build up.

havent washed my wheels in days now, and they look like i just painted them.
although when you touch them you can see how much cleaner they are underneath all that brakedust, but step back and they look fantastic
i locve black wheels

Darkhamr 05-07-2007 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allen K. Littlefield
You might try a little Blue Magic metal polish on them after you get a payloader in there to remove the brake dust. One of the most annoying things on my '02 Boxcar is the brake dust! It seems you cannot do a few hard stops without the silver wheels taking on a tan cast from the dust build up. BTW the Blue Magic really makes the hood crest shine.

AKL

I don't know what kind of pads are on my newly aquired 02S, but I'm a meticulous car cleaner and this thing needs the wheels cleaned every 3-4 days of driving! It's crazy. :cool:

husker boxster 05-07-2007 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkhamr
this thing needs the wheels cleaned every 3-4 days of driving! It's crazy. :cool:

I had the same problem, which isn't fun when I have my SC IIs on. But last summer I changed to Ferodo pads and I can go weeks without dusty wheels.