Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2007, 08:34 PM   #1

Shift knob with LCD display

Saw this on a tech site and thought it looked pretty cool. For $169 its affordable although I'm not sure how practical it will be. Basically the LCD displays the current gear the car is in. The company claims that the knob will work on all manual transmissions up to 6 speed regardless of shift pattern. They seem to sell various mod products for VW and Audi.

http://www.tmtuning.com/HOME/catalog/product_detail.php?default_product=1937

alikhan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:56 PM   #2

Looks cool, but not practical. You shouldn't be looking down at your shift knob in order to read a display, and you should already know what gear you are in.
Autocrosses: 22
Track Days: 1
http://www.crife.net
986 Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 08:05 AM   #3
boggtown

I like not having any numbers, that way only I can drive my car, lol. I dont want any jow schmoe car thief to be like sweet, im in first now.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:00 AM   #4

Very curious how they can say this works on "all shift patterns, up to 6-speed." What about dogleg italian car gearbox? For that matter, I'm still not sure where it would pickup what gear its in, and at the end of the day, who needs this? I do like the lighted BMW M shifters, which show the pattern and the M, but I'm certainly not sold on this.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 11:06 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to [z0ne] Send a message via MSN to [z0ne]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm750
Very curious how they can say this works on "all shift patterns, up to 6-speed." What about dogleg italian car gearbox? For that matter, I'm still not sure where it would pickup what gear its in, and at the end of the day, who needs this? I do like the lighted BMW M shifters, which show the pattern and the M, but I'm certainly not sold on this.

Patrick
I'm with Patrick on this. Hell yeh, I think it looks cool, but practicality-wise? None. I can't look down at the shift knob to figure out what gear I'm in. If I have to look down then I might as well already be upside down in a ditch. I don't think I've missed a shift in over two years. (I got my full license when I was 17, been driving since I was 16)
[z0ne] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 03:16 PM   #6

i've been doing my best to stay upbeat and positive on my posts here.
but i have nothing upbeat nor positive to say about this.
if you have a 1996 honda civic that you're looking to tart up this may be the way to go.
otherwise, please stay away from that. far away.
:chicken:
humara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 06:17 PM   #7

Dunno, looks kinda fun to me. And as far as practicality, I'm not sure I can say practical and Boxster in the same sentence with a straight face...
dmcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 08:33 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
yeah you dont really need to see tha say anything, if you dont know what gear you are in there is somehting definitely wrong with that picture.
but it does look like a cool gadget, or at least an idea.

now if they can somehow integrate the same thing on heads up dispplay of some sort or something...
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 11:58 PM   #9

A better investment would be some aluminum: pedals, instrument cluster rings, license plate holder, door sills = $180.00 (that's some of the things I got for my car in the last two weeks) Hehe...

I too am looking for something cool in terms of a shift knob, but this knob you found is a little "star treky" for me. And I love star trek.
conradtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:44 PM   #10

Throw in some fuzzy dice and a carpeted dash cover...
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:21 PM   #11

Despite the gimmickry being less than functional I like the look of the shifter. I’m not a big fan of the 2001 stock shift knob, but I am having trouble finding a shift knob for the Boxster.

Also there is the issue of the shift boot, is there a replacement boot that works with a universal shift knob?

Is there a shifter that looks similar to this that would work? I like the current shift knob, a little more round… just my personal preference.
thegarage01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 06:07 AM   #12

Actually I like the look of the knob.

But it's not useful for a manual trans.

However if something like that can be made for an automatic--and the display be put on the dash, that would be interesting AND useful.
socratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 07:08 AM   #13

I have a VW Touareg and it actually does show what gear you are in (automatic) in a display on the dash, right in the middle. It if very cool, b/c if you go into the tiptronic functionality it shows the numbers 1-6 in a line and you can easily see what gear you are in etc..

As for the stick shift in question, seems pretty silly to me. What if you had a buddy drive the car for the first time, now it doesn't even tell them the shift patter, where is reverse etc..

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote