986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Water under driver's seat... car wouldn't start (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10867)

FrayAdjacent 04-25-2007 08:39 AM

Water under driver's seat... car wouldn't start

I went out and did some errands today, and it had rained pretty bad last night. I knew the carpet behind the driver's seat was getting damp...

But today when I pulled back into the apartments, I stopped at the office to drop something off, and turned off the engine. When I got back in, everything would come on, but the starter wouldn't kick in. I started to push the car into the complex (I live downhill of the office, thought I could try popping the clutch), but I got stopped after I tried to pop the clutch. Then the engine started!

I checked under the seat, and there was water. Not a lot, but some of it was standing. Got back to the apartment, and got in there with a couple towels to soak it up, and then put a fan in there. It's sunny and dry today, so I hope it will dry out. I'm about to fly out to DC for a week, and I'll be leaving the car at my rent's, so I at least need to get down there today.

Could it just be the water down there that caused it not to start? Will drying it out resolve the problem, at least until it gets wet again? What can I check to stop this leaking? (I also noticed the seat belt was damp, so the part that rolls up outside of the cabin is getting wet)

Thanks,

M@

FrayAdjacent 04-25-2007 08:41 AM

I might also mention the trunk warning light was flickering off and on right before I pulled into the apartment complex...

98Boxster98 04-25-2007 10:44 AM

It's most likely the drain holes are plugged, a somewhat common problem. Search here or renntech.org for "drain"

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10486

You definitely want to dry it up as soon as possible since the very expensive DME is under the driver seat.

insite 04-25-2007 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 98Boxster98
You definitely want to dry it up as soon as possible since the very expensive DME is under the driver seat.

close; the ignition immobilization / alarm unit is under the driver's seat. the DME is in the trunk.

98Boxster98 04-25-2007 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by insite
close; the ignition immobilization / alarm unit is under the driver's seat. the DME is in the trunk.

Oopsy, you're right. Still very expensive ;)

ROMES 04-25-2007 12:19 PM

my alarm unit was ruined by drain holes getting plugged....guy @ porsche dealership said drill a hole in the floor incase i dont get a chance to check the drain holes =(

only cost $800 to replace though hahah... :ah:

FrayAdjacent 04-26-2007 07:49 AM

Makes sense to me, I figured the water was the cause of the problem. I had also read it was the alarm control unit, not the DME under the seat. It acted like the starter kill had engaged. Everything worked, but the starter didn't kick in.

When I get back home (I'm in DC until Tuesday), I'll see if I can check the drain tubes.

If anything else, I might find one of those rainfly type car covers (the one that covers only the top, not the whole car) on Ebay... and deploy when the weather looks crappy.

I'll post an update when I can check the drains. Still seems silly of Porsche to put something important to the vehicle's functionality (not to mention expensive!) under the seat where water can accumulate if other things don't work like they should... or say someone leaves their top down and gets caught in serious rain.

FrayAdjacent 04-26-2007 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROMES
my alarm unit was ruined by drain holes getting plugged....guy @ porsche dealership said drill a hole in the floor incase i dont get a chance to check the drain holes =(

only cost $800 to replace though hahah... :ah:

That might be a good idea, I can see/feel where the water is pooling... a little hole and a small rubber grommet in there... My dad (rode with me to the airport so he could drive the car home... then I don't pay for parking!) says it would be smart if someone built a flat one way valve for this purpose. Since mom has a convertible, he deals with the same stuff often.. her drains get clogged uber-easy, and floods her car.

djomlas 04-26-2007 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent
Still seems silly of Porsche to put something important to the vehicle's functionality (not to mention expensive!) under the seat where water can accumulate if other things don't work like they should... or say someone leaves their top down and gets caught in serious rain.

or very profitable.

btw, does anyone have pictures of the REAL DRAIN TUBES? i looked at that diagram and makes no sense to me.

FrayAdjacent 04-26-2007 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djomlas
or very profitable.

btw, does anyone have pictures of the REAL DRAIN TUBES? i looked at that diagram and makes no sense to me.

You're right about that, DJ. Fixing anything on these cars at the dealer is $$$.

I was just thinking... if I had to replace the alarm unit... I'd probably have to get new keys to use with it. Man, that would have been expensive! I need another key anyway, but not with an $800 control unit (and associated labor!) attached to it!

ROMES 04-26-2007 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent
That might be a good idea, I can see/feel where the water is pooling... a little hole and a small rubber grommet in there... My dad (rode with me to the airport so he could drive the car home... then I don't pay for parking!) says it would be smart if someone built a flat one way valve for this purpose. Since mom has a convertible, he deals with the same stuff often.. her drains get clogged uber-easy, and floods her car.

Thats what the guy @ Stevens Creek Porsche in san jose, ca suggested- said body shop should be able to do it...blah should come stock imo :(

FrayAdjacent 05-03-2007 07:16 AM

Well, over the weekend, since I was out of town, and it was rainy... dad got in there with his wet/dry vac and sucked out a bunch of water. I got back into town Tuesday afternoon, and though it was cloudy, it hadn't rained yet.

Got home and checked the drain, and it was kinda clogged. Didn't seem like a lot, since one jab of the finger broke it loose. I poured some water down the drain, and it flowed freely. Checked the other side, and it was not as bad, but still had a little bit in there.

Then I closed the top back up, and poured water on the top, and it appears to have all flowed out.

Yesterday and last night it rained... a LOT... I just went out and checked, and it's only a little damp under the seat, likely from before I cleaned the drain out..

So it appears the drain was the culprit. I probably will do the 'tupperware' mod sometime, tho. As I say, Porsche makes some awesome cars, but sometimes, they just do something STUPID.