Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2007, 12:47 PM   #1

speaker upgrade/water leak

Yeah, so I upgraded my speakers, took out the old door pods, put the in new speakers and now I get water in the door. Seems (I am told) that the pods actually help to chanel the water so it can exit the door.
Now the dilema. Replace the new speakers with the origional pods, install new plastic film and have no leak. Or replace the torn film and hope for the best. No gurantee.
Either way I'm out at least $500.00 for the repair work. Hopefully my installer will foot the bill and come up with a solution.
Anyone else have this problem?
P.S. The new speakers are great!!!!

codytuc213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 03:14 PM   #2

Exactly where are you getting a water leak? I have completely custom door work for my audio install, and no water that I have seen.... I do know my installer dynamated the hell out of the doors, but I am very curious where you're leaking water.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 05:16 PM   #3

I did mine myself last year and have had no problems. Only reason you might get leakage is if interior door skin was not re-installed correctly thus not creating enough pressure to seal glass w/ outside felt seal/strip. I'd hold him accountable as there shouldn't be any leakage problems what so ever.

Does he think cars w/out factory door speaker pods have leakage problems too since they can't channel? Sounds fishy to me.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 04:39 AM   #4

water, water everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm750
Exactly where are you getting a water leak? I have completely custom door work for my audio install, and no water that I have seen.... I do know my installer dynamated the hell out of the doors, but I am very curious where you're leaking water.

Patrick
The water was collecting at the bottom of the door. The carpet below the speaker became(and stayed) wet. I only got wind of this over the phone so I don't know where exactly it is comming from. I know it must be due to dammage to the skin, but damn, $500. I will get a full report today and hopefully a solution!
Did they remove the door pods on yours? If they did, what did they fill the space with?
codytuc213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by codytuc213
Yeah, so I upgraded my speakers, took out the old door pods, put the in new speakers and now I get water in the door. Seems (I am told) that the pods actually help to chanel the water so it can exit the door.
Now the dilema. Replace the new speakers with the origional pods, install new plastic film and have no leak. Or replace the torn film and hope for the best. No gurantee.
Either way I'm out at least $500.00 for the repair work. Hopefully my installer will foot the bill and come up with a solution.
Anyone else have this problem?
P.S. The new speakers are great!!!!
Hi,

I doubt seriously that the Speaker Enclosure is used to channel water from the Door. If that were so, what would people who only have the M441 Stereo Option without Door Speakers do?

I suspect that your Door Drains are clogged with debris, leaves, seeds, etc. which can pass through the opening for the window. If the Vapor Barrier has been removed, replace it - that's what it's there for. Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 12:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by codytuc213
The water was collecting at the bottom of the door. The carpet below the speaker became(and stayed) wet. I only got wind of this over the phone so I don't know where exactly it is comming from. I know it must be due to dammage to the skin, but damn, $500. I will get a full report today and hopefully a solution!
Did they remove the door pods on yours? If they did, what did they fill the space with?
I filled the space w/ air My baffles mount in the original holes for the OEM "pods" (tuned ports) and tighten up to the foam liner/vapor barrier.

I could see if you completely removed the vapor barrier there could be a problem, but it shouldn't have been removed. I only cut mine enough to make room for the speaker depth. No water problems here and don't beleive anyone when they say the tuned ports help channel water - there were too many boxsters made that don't have door speakers. Your holes in the door bottom may be plugged though?
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:42 PM   #7

Its possible your door drains are plugged. As far as the vapor barrier, we removed mine and covered the door in DynaMat. I've driven mine in the rain plenty, and never any water issues.

Patrick

Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote