Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2006, 03:52 AM   #1

Relocating Climate Control Unit

Hi, i'm new to these forums from Australia.

I recently bought a 98 Boxster and am about to buy a Kenwood double din dvd headunit. Im leaning towards the kenwood because it has the most OEM look out of the units i have seen.

I need to know how to relocate the climate control. I was wondering if it was possible to relocate it to the upper one of the lower dins which is currently is occupied by the CD holder or do I have to locate it in the lower one using the face plate that comes with the cars with the PCM unit. If anyone has any ideas please let me know because im a bit stumped.

I have photoshoped a pic of the headunit onto another boxster's interior.. let me know if you know of any more factory looking dvd/monitor headunits out there...

Thanks

blka4t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:48 PM   #2

good question.
bump for an old thread that needs an answer.
i currently have the dsp thing at the bottom.
thinking of selling it, moving the cliamate down to the bottom and installing the sucky cupholders from an 01.
at least sucky is an improvement over none. or maybe not?
humara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:07 PM   #3

For the first question you can relocate the a/c display down. If the car had PCM that is where it would be.

For the second question if you remove the DSP control unit then your amp will not work.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:45 PM   #4

I did just the opposite, moved the climate control from the bottom most slot to the top.

If you want to put yours down at the bottom, all you need is the bezel for it. There are no brackets needed. You might also need the two screws, as I think the little storage bin in the bottom slot does not have any screws holding it in.

I just traded my top slot cup holder unit, the lowest slot bezel and screws with another member here for his mounting brackets and bezel, and the bottom storage bin. It worked out quite well.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 03:29 PM   #5

thanks for the replies.
i hadn't thought about keeping the hvac and the dsp in the 2 lower spots.
i think that pocket might be more important than the dsp.
glad to know that whatever i decide, it will work.
humara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 08:18 PM   #6

Its not a big deal to move the climate controls to the lower slot. In terms of the best nav for the money, I think Eclipse has the best product. I have the AVN5510 in my car and its great. Note that you will likely wind up doing all new audio (amps, and while you're there, speakers).

See my post on the the Hertz speakers install for pics.

Patrick

Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote