986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Adding Heated Seats (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10716)

boko 04-17-2007 10:57 AM

Adding Heated Seats

Does anyone know if you can get heated seats installed or activated on a 03 Boxster S? Having bought a car without them I have found that I miss them!!!!!!!

BoxsterBob - CA 04-17-2007 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boko
Does anyone know if you can get heated seats installed or activated on a 03 Boxster S? Having bought a car without them I have found that I miss them!!!!!!!

Here's a good reference site:

Heated Seat Hack

docdyh 04-17-2007 01:40 PM

as you can see, it involves quite a bit of work...

Cloudsurfer 04-17-2007 08:53 PM

I'd like to do this at some point myself...having been well aware of the need to create an additional harness, its not the simple project of swapping seats some think it is.

Its really too bad that Porsche can't do things the BMW way (one harness, and the option codes just plug into it).

Patrick

MNBoxster 04-17-2007 09:49 PM

Hi,

It's not a difficult task at all really, especially if you have some experience using Hog Rings and upholstery, and you could farm that portion out to an Upholstery Shop for minimum cost.

But, adding the Porsche system is not the way to go at all.

I am planning to do this if I keep my car and have already sourced the Heaters - www.heaterseats.com and adding in the Porsche OEM Switches instead of those with the kit - PN# 996.613.152.00 (01 for Matte Finish). These guys supply Seat Heaters for practically everyone and I suspect they may for Porsche as well, but don't advertise it.

You might also need to get a pair of interlocking Relay Boxes (don't know if they're included in the kit), but the best source for these is Painless Wiring - http://www.painlessperformance.com or WayTek Wire - www.waytekwire.com/bosch-automotive-relays.htm . You can also use Molex Connectors to easily use the OEM Switches from - http://www.molex.com/cgi-bin/bv/molex/jsp/contact/mxcontact.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0920931359.11768748 64@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccgaddkjjhmifjcflgcehedffgdfmk .0&channel=Contact%20Us&channelId=-8863&pageTitle=Find%20a%20Distributor making it Plug & Play

There are several sources to pull the power from, both switched and unswitched and the wiring diagram is simple, though contrary to the Installation Guide, I would use Relays for the High Current to the heaters themselves and low current for the switches. See their Installation .pdf here - http://www.heaterseats.com/installation.pdf

If you can install a Car Stereo, this Mod would pose no problem at all. In fact, it is easier than several of the Stereo installs I have done over the years. Hope this helps...

blinkwatt 04-17-2007 11:09 PM

Jim,

Could you please write a D.I.Y. if you decide to install heated seats to your Boxster? Where would you tap into the power supply to power the seats?

wpruitt 04-18-2007 04:55 AM

Been looking at this and agree

that the best thing to do is not try and match the Porsche heated seat solution but use selected components for the original look. However (not being intelligent in electrical components) in my mind the problem is the momentary switches and the appropriate relays for them. I was under the impression that momentary switches require latching relays and I have not been able to find a latching relay that will work with a two level heating system. Am I wrong in this?
Warren

MNBoxster 04-18-2007 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Jim,

Could you please write a D.I.Y. if you decide to install heated seats to your Boxster? Where would you tap into the power supply to power the seats?

Hi,

Yes, I will. There are any number of power sources. Probably the best place to tap the power would be any of the unused circuits at the Fuse Block (D4, E2, E9, E10) depending upon your model year or the unused Telephone Circuit (E8), already living under the Center Console...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

MNBoxster 04-18-2007 07:03 AM

Hi,

@wpruitt - you only would need a DPDT Relay and these are common. Treat each switch setting as a separate circuit . Tap into the existing Cig. Ashtray lamp for switch illumination function and you're good to go...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

JackG 04-18-2007 08:57 AM

How do the factory switches work? Three positions (off, low, high), or a momentary action that toggles through settings? Do they have built-in indicator lights to show status?

I can help with the electrical wiring questions, but I don't have heated seats in mine (no need for them in SC), so I'm not familiar with the factory switches and their operation.

dmcutter 04-18-2007 10:41 AM

I had Check brand seat heaters installed in mine last December. The installer put the switches on the outside of the base of the power seats, unobtrusive and easy to reach, although I would have preferred OEM switches. The Deluxe (3 heat settings) cost me something like $450 installed, in case you aren't a do it yourselfer.

wpruitt 04-18-2007 12:12 PM

Switch Type

Jack,
I have the switches as I am accumulating parts to do the upgrade and I thought they were momentary switches that cycle thru off- low-high and have a corresponding led for low and high settings. I could very well be wrong. Maybe somebody that has a factory set can say how they operate.

Jim,
That would sure be an easy way to do it but will that work with momentary switches (if they are momentary)?

Warren

JackG 04-18-2007 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wpruitt
Jack,
I have the switches as I am accumulating parts to do the upgrade and I thought they were momentary switches that cycle thru off- low-high and have a corresponding led for low and high settings. I could very well be wrong. Maybe somebody that has a factory set can say how they operate.

Jim,
That would sure be an easy way to do it but will that work with momentary switches (if they are momentary)?

Warren

Do the switches stop at each position, or do they just rock to an on position, then have a spring-loaded return to rest?

Even with momentary switches a relay can be wired to work. One set of contacts holds the current through the winding "on" when you release the button, but then you have to have a switch position that is normally closed that can open and interrupt the winding current to release the relay. You are essentially making a latching relay. It's not hard to wire, I can draw up a schematic if you like. The low-high will add a little twist. I'll need the specifics on the switch.

mikefocke 04-18-2007 02:45 PM

Yes you can

Details at the bottom of this web page

socalsharky 06-06-2007 07:34 AM

Adding OEM Switches

I am considering puchasing a 2005 Boxster that does not have heated seats. If I go through with it, I definitely want to add them. If I do it, I will use the OEM switches. Does this require cutting the center console area where the switches mount, are there "punch-outs", or do you order a new trim piece for the center that has mounting holes for the switches?

pteam 06-19-2007 01:52 PM

Has anybody used heated seats from heaterseats.com ? I'm thinking this is a good looking model for $120 a seat and its their hottest heater. I know from previous experience that an aftermarket seat heater used years ago on an H1 didn't get hot at all, so I want to get their hottest.

Edit: I just ordered 2 of these, I'll probably install them with their switch and see how I like it at first, I'll let you know how these go and how hot they get! Pretty cheap price actually $120 per seat and shipped.

donv 06-19-2007 03:12 PM

Just keep rockin' forward to turn on and cycle heat level. Press rear to turn off. Indicators change color with off-low-high.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackG
Do the switches stop at each position, or do they just rock to an on position, then have a spring-loaded return to rest?