Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2007, 09:43 AM   #1

Vibration in Steering (first 5 minutes)

I have noticed that when I initially take the car out and drive it (especially on highway) there is alot of vibration in the steering wheel. However, after 5 or so minutes of driving it goes away.

Since my car is not a daily driver, could this just be the tires warming up (flat spots maybe). Just wondering if anyone else experiences this or if I should be worried about a balancing or alignment issue.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:50 AM   #2
bmussatti

Hey Drburton, my guess would be same as yours...flat spotting. I have 19" and PS2's...not a daily driver...but I have not had any flatspotting issues. Are your cold tire pressures good?
Old 04-16-2007, 10:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drburton
I have noticed that when I initially take the car out and drive it (especially on highway) there is alot of vibration in the steering wheel. However, after 5 or so minutes of driving it goes away.

Since my car is not a daily driver, could this just be the tires warming up (flat spots maybe). Just wondering if anyone else experiences this or if I should be worried about a balancing or alignment issue.
Dr, your new wheels must be messed up. I'll take them from you for $500.
Now seriously, it's definitely flatspotting. I too feel small vibrations each time I pick up my Box after couple weeks of sitting, but they go away before the car warms up. Normal, and nothing to worry about.
Z.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:29 AM   #4

you're wrong, Z..I think what's wrong with it is the tires and the center cap and fixing it will cost alot of money.
To save you some clam shells, DrB..i'll take the tires and the center cap for $400

On a serious note, I though about the same thing when the wheels and tires from Wheel Dynamics are installed, good thing that the indy shop who installed it, check it for free after few days and he told me that to give it sometime to warm up and it wil go away..which it does
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:39 AM   #5

ha! got you thinking huh dr burton.....I'm with you and kracker sometimes I get a little shaking and it goes away once its all warmed up.....alright here's question...

have you guys driven over a bridge, you know the metal stuff instead of street? bmussatti, think of 290 going towards congress.....all cars shake a little but the box seems like it gets slung from side to side....
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:42 AM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Quote:
Originally Posted by super66
ha! got you thinking huh dr burton.....I'm with you and kracker sometimes I get a little shaking and it goes away once its all warmed up.....alright here's question...

have you guys driven over a bridge, you know the metal stuff instead of street? bmussatti, think of 290 going towards congress.....all cars shake a little but the box seems like it gets slung from side to side....

I know exactly the bridge you are talking about. Yeah, my box really goes side to side on that thing, too.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:48 AM   #7
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chills
I know exactly the bridge you are talking about. Yeah, my box really goes side to side on that thing, too.
I get the same effect in my Ford Explorer.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:00 AM   #8

Try that bridge on a motorcycle. You just let the wheels go where they want and don't fight it.

Old 04-16-2007, 11:23 AM   #9

Oh man, speaking of that, I hit some sand while on a friend's gsxr600 the other day. It was all across part of the road where the wind had brought it in, I saw it coming and managed ok but....scary!

-David
http://www.darkoven.com/sig.jpg
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by David N.
Oh man, speaking of that, I hit some sand while on a friend's gsxr600 the other day. It was all across part of the road where the wind had brought it in, I saw it coming and managed ok but....scary!

-David

Yikes... been there. From 1-10 what was the pucker factor?

Old 04-16-2007, 03:46 PM   #11

Yep, flat spots!

I just got an 04 S. When I made the first test drive off the lot, the vibration was SO BAD at 45 MPH I thought the front end was going to shake itself loose! I turned around, went back to the lot and took the sales person for a ride. By then, of course, the Yokahamas were well warmed up - no vibration whatsoever.

The longer it sits (like 2 weeks on a dealer lot without being driven) the worse it is! And, of course the faster you go too!!!

IT'S PERFECTLY NORMAL!
ssaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 04:21 PM   #12

More than likely, it's flat spots. If you have very soft high performance tires, and rarely drive the car, you're probably going to experience this a lot more.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:11 PM   #13

I agree

It appears that I have a similar setup as you and experience the same thing
My tires have been "road force" balanced and are brand new.

Keep an eye on your cold tire pressures.

I'm curious if it is more "noticeable" after sitting for several days and what effect the ambient temperature plays into this concern.

markab986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:39 PM   #14
fab

I've have to say FLAT SPOT. My car is not a daily driver, so when I do take it out and it's been sitting for a few days. I get the same feeling on the highway until it warms up. But I have to wonder if this small vibration will throw off the alignment or something else?

painted bumperettes
autoband paint protection
wheel caps & colored crests
door sills
Valentine One
fab is offline   Reply With Quote