Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2007, 09:33 AM   #1

New 2002 lapis blue 986 & questions

So, I've wanted a Boxster since I was like 14 and, guess what, I managed to get a 2002 lapis blue with 24,000 certified pre-owned box a couple months ago as a college-graduation present to myself! As you can probably imagine, this thing is my baby. And I only just found this forum, so I figured I'd introduce myself and (later) post some pics of it.

But, of course, I have some questions since this is my first Porsche:

I dunno how or why, but I've gotten some pretty nasty scratches on the back trunk hood. I'm not sure if it's from driving around Los Angeles or from what, but they're rather unsightly. I bought the 1oz paint kit from Paintscratch.com (found some people on here saying they were decent) a while back but I'm petrified of applying it myself since I'm worried about blending it in and stuff. Does anyone either have recommendations on how to do this, or how much it wold cost to have someone else do it? It just kills me to see it scratched

Secondly, I'm approaching my 30,000 mile checkup. How much is this supposed to run me? One dealer quoted me at $1,200 which seems awfully high, especially since I only bought the car about 6,000 miles ago. And, on the same note, anyone have an opinion on what the best dealer in LA is? I've had awful experiences with Rusnak, so opinions on this would be great.

Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself and, after giving it a good wash, I'll post some pics of her

Pathos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:42 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Welcome to the forum, You'll enjoy this forum much like we all do here. As for the scratchs... try polishing them off with polish, wax or scratch remover.

as for the 30k Service, I dont know, i have 108,000 miles on my boxster and i never take it to the dealership for service... i just change the oil and check for oil leaks and suspension noise. I let the Check Engine Light tell me if theres a problem.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:03 AM   #3

You may want to try polish designed to reduce scratches. Start with the finest grit and work up. I've never had good luck with touch-up paint. If you can't polish the scratch away, it's time to talk to the pros.
BoxsterBob - CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:12 AM   #4

try and post pics of the scratches. Might save you some time by finding out if its a DIY or if it requires more $$$. I would try posting on Autotopia forum and say you are looking for pro detailer in LA. I've seen some real miracles performed on that sight.

I just got two quotes for 30K service about $850
oil change, filter
spark plugs
air and pollen filter
full 'inspection'

all of these are easy do it yourself jobs but I'm thinking having the records from an official Porsche dealer might help me when it comes time to sell as I can pdf them into a file that I can email prospective buyers. So far all repairs and maintenance on my car has been done by an over priced pro.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:32 PM   #5

You might want to bring your car to speed gallery in studio city. They're really cool.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:28 AM   #6

Pathos,

Regarding the 30k mile service, see the following :

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10600

Not sure how much a difference it will be since you are in LA, but definitely call around.

Welcome, and congrats !

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote