Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2007, 10:32 AM   #1

Key remotes don’t work anymore

This sucks – both of my key remotes have gone bad, but at different times (this is a for an ’05 987 non-S). Last year, on a business trip, I left my keys in my briefcase for a week, and when I got back to the airport, the key remote didn’t work anymore. Since the car came with two, I didn’t worry about this too much and just switched keys. Then yesterday, after coming back from a week in Phoenix, the other one doesn’t work anymore either.

Both times, the key was being stored in pocket in my briefcase. It is possible that the buttons were activated in some fashion while they were in my bag. The little light still lights up when I press the buttons, but they don’t seem to work anymore.

Any ideas on what the problem or solution might be?

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:36 AM   #2
bmussatti

Dr. Kill, after about 5 days the car goes into "sleep mode" to save power. Just put the key in the door lock and unlock car, then insert into ingnition, and this should wake it back up again. Do it fast or the alarm will sound. (Ask me how I know! )

Last edited by bmussatti; 04-02-2007 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:01 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply,

that is actually how I have been driving around today and yesterday, using the key to manually unlock and lock the door, but the key remotes still won't work.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:08 PM   #4
bmussatti

Dr. Kill, time for the dreaded Owners Manual then. Try opening the door, turn the key but don't start it, take the key out, close the door and try the remote.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:45 PM   #5

It is possible that the key battery got drained when you placed it in your bag...maybe somehow the buttons got pressed. I would suggest changing the key battery first. You can get the battery anywhere like Target, WalMart or Best Buy. Takes a minute to replace it. I am doubtful that the remote is dead since your car is still pretty new. Also, look up the manual for ways to reset the key etc. when car has not been used for several days. If all else fails, then you would have to replace the key remote head and get it programmed at the dealer. It will run around $200 depending on where you buy the key head....cheapest place is sunset import porsche and bring to local dealer for programming.
porschedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 01:37 PM   #6

Hi,

Try pulling the battery, waiting 15 sec. and re-inserting it. This has been found to cure some other faulty remotes. Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 01:56 PM   #7

I've also read that you can "re-boot" the key by removing the battery and inserting it backwards then re-inserting it correctly.

Here are some other suggestions on Renntech:
Key issues
BoxsterBob - CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:14 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
lock the door. unlock it, put in ignition, turn all the way to the right without turning the car on, pull key out, double click the remote buttons,
this should do it
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:24 PM   #9

Those are all great sugestions, but if after you replace your remote battery and it still doesn't work, or works for only a few more days and then quits working again, you may need a new remote. That's what happend to me. Had to have mine reprogramed at the delership. Both keys went bad. I only paid to have 1 fixed. Cost me $220!!! Stupid remote buttoms should not be so sensitive and get stuck in the down/on position so easily.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:46 PM   #10

I have read somewhere that if you pressed the button more than 256 times you have to do some trick to get it working again.
Then there is one higher limit you shouldnt pass because then you need a pst instrument to get it working again

Read this link:http://www.ppbb.com/boards/ppbbphp/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=ARCHIVES&Number=1029451&Forum=ARCHIVES&Words=remote%20not%20working&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=1029451&Search=true#Post1029451
spongebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:53 PM   #11

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

I managed to get it working again.

I replaced the battery but that didn’t help, then I tried to do the key reset procedure found in the manual, that didn’t work either. Then I tried a whole bunch of derivations of the key reset procedure, varying amount of times I pressed buttons, length of time holding them down, and other combinations of locking, unlocking, and placing the key in the ignition. The good thing is that one of them worked, I am just not sure which combination actually did it.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:53 AM   #12

Obviously your Porsche was pissed at you for leaving it alone for a week in an airport parking lot. You probably didn't even call it to check in. It probably thought you were never coming back while it had to fend off door dings all by itself.

The remote not working is just your Boxster's way of saying it felt hurt, scared, and alone (ohhh, so alone - and cold). Like most Porsches, it took a few days before it got over it. Luckily it wasn't mad enough at you to grenade the engine or spontaneously develop an RMS leak. Or make you sleep on the couch.

Let this be a lesson to everyone - Don't hurt your Boxster's feelings - get out there and drive!

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpete
Obviously your Porsche was pissed at you for leaving it alone for a week in an airport parking lot. You probably didn't even call it to check in. It probably thought you were never coming back while it had to fend off door dings all by itself.
Yeah, it might have found out I was driving other cars while I was out of town too. I will have to be more careful on my next trip.

Thanks for the tip.