986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Max Mileage Until 30k Service? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10425)

uberst 04-02-2007 11:13 PM

Max Mileage Until 30k Service?

Hi, I'm planning on buying a 2002 boxster s from a relative of mine, but it currently is at 31000 miles and still hasn't had it's 30k service done. If I were to pick up the car in person I would have to drive it around 300 miles. I was wondering how soon after I get the car would I have to get the service done? Thanks

blue2000s 04-03-2007 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uberst
Hi, I'm planning on buying a 2002 boxster s from a relative of mine, but it currently is at 31000 miles and still hasn't had it's 30k service done. If I were to pick up the car in person I would have to drive it around 300 miles. I was wondering how soon after I get the car would I have to get the service done? Thanks

It's a guideline, not a deadline.

bmussatti 04-03-2007 05:03 AM

Uberst, did you get a PPI prior to purchase?

Dr. Kill 04-03-2007 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uberst

There are plenty of people on this forum who are smarter about this stuff than me - hopefull they will chime in too. (note to blue and bmussatti - I typed this before I noticed you guys responded - lol)

However, I would say that 30k service should be performed at 30k. The fact that the car has been driven for 1k after that is probably not that big of a deal, but if it were me, I wouldn't push it any further. Upon purchase, I would drive the car straight from your relative's house to the dealer for the service, and then go on your 300 mile trip.

These cars seem to work pretty well as long as you take care of them, so I would strongly suggest you stay on schedule for maintenance. That should give a piece of mind to both you, and the person you will finally sell the car to next.

uberst 04-03-2007 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmussatti
Uberst, did you get a PPI prior to purchase?

Not yet, but I do plan on getting one. I was just wondering if 1k over would be too much. Thanks for your responses.

Brucelee 04-03-2007 05:48 AM

To me, the biggest issue is the oil. If he hasn't changed the oil since 15K, I would do the oil and filter right away and then get the rest of the 30K service within a reasonable time frame.

aren040 04-03-2007 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brucelee
To me, the biggest issue is the oil. If he hasn't changed the oil since 15K, I would do the oil and filter right away and then get the rest of the 30K service within a reasonable time frame.

Everywhere I have gone I was informed that you can let the oil go for 15K but it is preferred that you do it at 10K or even less.

-aren

MNBoxster 04-03-2007 11:32 AM

Hi,

At 5 yrs. and 30k mi., you're due for Plugs, Coolant, Polyrib Belt, Brake Fluid Change, possible Oil Change (I doubt the car is on it's original Oil), Cabin Filter. You're probably also coming up shortly on Tires and Brake Pads. This because each of these has a Time as well as Mileage interval. Not stated in the Manual, but that's how long these parts last or is a prudent change schedule. Besides, you establish a good baseline for your new car.

If the PPI checks out, you'd most likely be good to go the 300 mi. as is. If you are at 10k on the Oil, you can drop the Filter Cartridge and replace the 0.5-1.0 Qts. you'll lose. Topping up the Oil does refresh the Oil tremendously, though you will need to flush out the dirt with a proper Oil/Filter change shortly after getting it home.

All these things are easy DIY tasks and the archives here are full of the various procedures. Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99