Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2007, 05:06 PM   #1

How much weight do chrome rims add ?

Interested in getting chrome plated 19s...

How much would the weight affect the acceleration of the car?

mjstallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:11 PM   #2
boggtown

Lets just say chrome will add like 6 pounds per wheel. so a 22 Lb wheel will weigh like 28 (CONSERVATIVELY). Ive seen 30+ pound wheels easy. It will jack your car up so much dont even bother trying to race it or drive fast. It wont be much, but its like a bee sting, all the fun will be sucked out of the day. They will be fine if you just wanna cruise or look flashy, but I hate chrome with a passion. My prediction is you will feel it being more sluggish and get pissed off (even though its probably still fast), its all about comparisons, if I went from a geo metro to a boxster with crome 22's Id think it was a bullet.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:44 PM   #3

The shipping wt of my chrome Carrera S 18s were 24lbs ea. They came double boxed but I imagine the boxes were probably only a 1/2 lb. Not sure what the wt diff is between 18s and 19s. Haven't had a chance to put them on (see my recent post), so I haven't been able to race any Metros yet.

Wheels are dipped in chrome. It's not slathered on like 5 coats of house paint.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 03-28-2007 at 05:51 PM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:46 PM   #4
bmussatti

I find it very hard to believe that chrome would add 6 pounds. Very surprising.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:55 PM   #5

I'm sure that made sense to somebody.

The weight that chrome plating will add will be negligible. You'll notice zero difference in acceleration between chrome and non-chrome rims.

As for moving up from a different wheel diameter to 19s, there could be a difference in acceleration depending on how you handle tire size. By reducing your sidewall height, the overall wheel/tire diameter could remain the same, resulting in nearly identical acceleration numbers. Your unsprung weight will increase if your new wheel/tire combination is heavier, but I'd bet you'd never notice the difference on the butt dyno. In the quarter mile, 100lbs = .10 of a second. If your new wheel tire combo added 50 lbs to your car,(unlikely) your quarter mile time would be increased by .05 seconds. You'd never feel that difference on the street.

Go to Tirerack.com for a good explanation of Plus 1 and Plus 2 wheel/tire sizing.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:43 PM   #6
boggtown

Im talking about multiple stage chrome plating where they dip in copper, then nickel, then triple plate with chrome. Im also assuming they are generic aftermarkets because I havent seen many high end wheel manufacturers with chrome as an option for boxsters. Also im factoring in the 19's part. Im thinking if he can get the wheels under 26 then thats good, but again, my rears were 24 Lbs and they are polished with only the centers painted.