Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2004, 08:44 AM   #1
Forum Contributor

Tire recommendation question

Does anyone have any recommendation for tires? My 2000S has done 17,500 miles and the Assimetrico rears are down to the casing on the inside edges but have 2+ mm on the remainder !! , and Directionale fronts have 2-4 + mm across the whole width. I'm thinking of just replacing the rears for now. Anyone had any problems or "experiences" with mixing brands? Anyone have anything to say about the Toyo brand "Proxes TS-1" tires from Les Schwab ?

Eugene 2000 S Triple Silver

evander13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 06:01 PM   #2
Forum Contributor

I highly recommend Toyo Proxy ES these tires have been on my car for about 8000 mi and show almost no wear. They handle awesome. And the ride is very good too. The tires are also very reasonably priced at http://www.edgeracing.com.
BUXSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 06:02 PM   #3
Forum Contributor

sorry the tires are Toyo T1S
BUXSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 05:13 AM   #4

Bridgestone SO3s are great tires. I have over 17K on them and they should easily go 23K or longer. No track, no racing, but I do the twisties of course when I can. They are not N-rated, but I do not feel this is too significant. They are good in the rain, good grip and even at 17K miles on them, they remain quiet. I have them on 17 inch wheels on my '99 Boxster.

I would recommend replacing all four at the same time, mixing front and rear is not really a good thing to do.

I had some Toyo Proxies on another car (Jetta), absolutely hated those tires, went back to Michelins on that one. I found the Proxies (at least in my case on the Jetta) to be awfully soft on the sidewalls. Plus they got really noisy later on. Last time I ever buy a Toyo tire. Of course your results could be different, there are people that really like them too I guess.
mjbliemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 09:55 AM   #5

I totally LOVE my Yokohama ES100 tires. Quiet, sticky, precise, but I only get half the mileage mjbliemel quotes.
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 04:38 PM   #6

I have Yohohama AVS Sports on 18inch Turbos. These tires are pretty awesome. They are really quite and have tons of grip. I only have about 3K miles on them so I really don’t have much to say about wear. If nothing else, the tread pattern is super cool. They look like really big crotch rocket motorcycle tires.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:50 AM   #7

I have 3 piece RH 3.6 Turbo rims on my boxster and replaced my 18 inch OE P-Zero with Kuhmo KU19 tires, these tires are asymetrico, just like the PZero's and supposedly have a hard sidewall, but not classified as N1, big deal, they had a price of about $700 for all four on tirerack.com ( pretty cheap compared w. pzero's) They also are supposed to have better tread life than pzero. One thing I like about them is on my aftermarket rims w/ pzero the outer lip or the rim stuck out about 1/4 inch (curb rash galore) now with the Kuhmo's they fill out the rim and go over about 1/8 inch! Same size 225 18 and 265 18. They handle very well and stick well to the road, road noise is good too, rain is pretty good too havenet slipped yet, It seemsc as if the Pzero were less sticky, but thats my opinion. I have them mounted on my factory turbo wheels right now ( rims out getting repaired) and they fill out the rim and look better than the pzero.

For the money, they are good, and the charactersistics are just like pzero's I was sold on the fact they are Asymetrico, just like pzero's.
jaygo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 06:42 PM   #9

P-Zero, rosso on 18" turbos. Love 'em and they grip like they have glue on them.

Actually, any of the tires mentioned above are all quite good. The key is, buy the right size tires, preferrable Z rated (v will also do) and enjoy. Don't forget to check pressure weekly (cold).
ehljags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 05:37 PM   #10

Anyone run pilot sports? They came on my car and I have no complaints. Good stick, predictable break-away. I think they may be a tad pricey to replace however. Anyone have a ballpark on treadlife for the P-sports. What is a decent price to pay for 265/225 18" pilots?
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 08:48 AM   #11

TireRack pretty much defines the low price for new tires. You can sometimes get a pricematch from a local shop when you quote them the TireRack price.

Pilots Sports have a great reputation - I've never tried them since I am happy with less expensive tires.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:45 PM   #12
Roy
Forum Member

I have a 99 Boxster and was looking to get a set of 17-inch Michelin Pilot Sports from the Tire Rack but found out that this model has been discontinued. It is being replaced by the Pilot Sport PS2 which sounds like an incredible tire (from the surveys) but is not yet available in the sizes I need. There is also another model -- the Pilot Sport Rib -- which IS available in the sizes I need and bears a superficial resemblance to the PS2, but there is no survey information available for it. Does anyone have any experience with any of these tires and how they might compare with each other or the Bridgestone Potenza S0-3? Is it worth waiting until Michelin gets around to manufacturing the PS2 in the sizes I need?
Old 07-21-2004, 06:00 AM   #13

I just bought a set of tires from tire rack and was counseled by a guy named Lee there to buy Kumho Ecsta MX's. There were less expensive Kumho's, but he told me they got wild loud after 8k if you didn't rotate them, which can't be done on our model.

I'll let you know what I think of them after I get them on and put some miles on them.

Thought about buying Bridgestones, but they were so expensive I thought I'd give these Kumho's a try since they have been so highly recommended by lists and people I know with Porsches.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 09:02 AM   #14

Mine has Michelin Pilot Sport 1 (on 18")...I am happy with them, but I had the PS 2 on my previous car (BMW)...and they were just unbelievable...a totally different car...I'll put them on again when I finished the current set...
Jeannot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 09:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally posted by RandallNeighbour
I just bought a set of tires from tire rack and was counseled by a guy named Lee there to buy Kumho Ecsta MX's.
I was running Kumho Ecsta 712s on my RSX before I got my Boxster. I thought that they were grippy, reasonably quiet and pretty good in the rain, but there were definate quality issues. One tire had to be replaced because it was shaped a bit oddly, while a second was never really able to be properly balanced. Another tire had more of a brown looking casing than the others.

I'm going to be staying away when it's time to change my tires.
F1CAR4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 03:33 PM   #16

Thanks for this input. I'm taking the car back to the shop that mounted and balanced them to see if they can remedy the front end shake I'm getting at 70+ mph.

If they can't solve it, I'm going to get tire rack to swap them for me at no charge. They're good about that.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 07:12 PM   #17

I'm new; just bought a burgundy and tan 2000 (my first). Hello.

I'm shopping for tires for 17" rims. What are spec tires on "04 cars that have small red lettering, maybe says "PZero." Pireliii? I thought Porsche spec'd Michelin.
jefla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 09:32 PM   #18

There are many tires out there for the Boxster, it depends on your driving style and needs.
mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 12:49 PM   #19

Porsche delivered Boxsters with Pirelli PZero, Continental ContiSportContact and Michelin Pilot Sports. The PZero is a relatively poor tire for the Boxster as it has too much road noise for a convertible. I couldn't wait to wear them out and get new tires.

As mr Mickey says, tire choice depends on your needs.

Tell us how and where you drive. Do you plan to take it to the track? How price conscious (ie Cheap) are you when it comes to tires? Where do you live, and if you have winter cold, will you drive it or park it?
Old 08-15-2004, 04:21 PM   #20

I live in Washington, DC. I've a "00 2.7l w/ 30K mi, 17" wheels and the original Michelin Pilots, SX maybe. Burgundy/tan. I've had the car about 3 weeks. RE how and where I drive, I think I'm looking for very high performance summer tires that are well suited for rain. Sometimes big rain. No snow. When I commute, it's a short drive in the city. Otherwise, I drive all the twisties I can find. I want performance, including rain, and quiet. I probably don't care about cost.

What about shifting? My spirited 2d gears are crummy 3d is good, smooth and fast but 2d. Arrrgh. How do you all hit 2d?

thx

jefla is offline   Reply With Quote