986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Is a windshield worth anything? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75742)

maytag 07-09-2019 03:23 PM

Is a windshield worth anything?

Y'all, I can't seem to find any examples of used windshields that have sold here, or on Ebay.

Are they that cheap new?
Waddy'all know?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Starter986 07-09-2019 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maytag (Post 599080)
Y'all, I can't seem to find any examples of used windshields that have sold here, or on Ebay.

Are they that cheap new?
Waddy'all know?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

When I had the windshield tinted my glass guy told me the windows are thin and, once installed, may crack if removal is attempted. That said, I belioeve it's a once-and-done effort. Itsnotanova might have more reliable information.

78F350 07-09-2019 04:08 PM

One car I bought a new windshield for. $325 installed. Pilkington brand glass and a local independent glass shop.
Another time I was scrapping a car with good glass and had cracked glass in another. I stopped by the glass shop on the way to the junkyard and had them remove the glass. A couple hours later I brought the other car in for the install. I think it was $40 total.
They took the glass out with a saw that looked just like a Sawzall, but had a slower (variable speed) blade that was shaped like a narrow spatula. They did warn me, they accepted no liability if it broke during the removal.

itsnotanova 07-09-2019 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starter986 (Post 599081)
When I had the windshield tinted my glass guy told me the windows are thin and, once installed, may crack if removal is attempted. That said, I belioeve it's a once-and-done effort. Itsnotanova might have more reliable information.

I spent $600 on a windshield removal tool like what 78F350 describes. I can get about every third window out without breaking it. It takes about 20 minutes to take one out. Sometimes longer depending on how much is in the way. I wouldn't say that tool was a waste of money, but I don't think I'd buy another one. There's another tool that uses a string and a crank with suction cups. As you crank in the string it cuts the window out. I'd like to try that tool. One last thing about going with a used windshield. I always find chips in the window after I get it out and thoroughly cleaned that I didn't notice before I started

jmitro 07-10-2019 03:48 AM

I paid $400 for a brand new aftermarket windshield installed by safelite.
IMO used is worth something but only to you; not many people are looking for a used windshield to purchase