Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2018, 08:16 AM   #1

WTB lightweight seats & door cards

I'm looking for a pair of Recaro Pole Position seats or similar to custom-reupholster and save some weight over stock. Leather preferred but could be anything, surface can be rough as long as frames are solid.

Also looking for a pair of door cards, I need only lower carpeted pieces without speakers. I'm gonna marry lower card with my upper, assuming it is possible by untacking plastic welds/ joints. I will reupholster them so as long as plastic cards are solid I care less about carpet that will be stripped out.

These are for my winter project on tight budget, if I can take your junks out of your storage!

1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:30 AM   #2

you may wish to check out ebay.co.uk, as boxsters there came in lower spec than in 'merica. you'll finds lots of inexpensive door panels (called door cards there) many without speaker cut-outs, and many without side airbags, for that lightweight build.

ps, been looking into this and partway down the road on my build - going to delete the cubby covers as well (easy) and replace door openers with straps (hard; requires relocating the microswitch that drops the window). end product will be as light as anything you could make from scratch.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
you may wish to check out ebay.co.uk, as boxsters there came in lower spec than in 'merica. you'll finds lots of inexpensive door panels (called door cards there) many without speaker cut-outs, and many without side airbags, for that lightweight build.

ps, been looking into this and partway down the road on my build - going to delete the cubby covers as well (easy) and replace door openers with straps (hard; requires relocating the microswitch that drops the window). end product will be as light as anything you could make from scratch.
Thanks for feedback. I’ve been watching eBay but they are listed rather high... one with door lever etc. stripped out is still listed over $100... crazy to me and out of my weight-reduction budget, ideally around 10lb reduction per $100.

It would be cool to convert to pull straps to add that classic RS vibe, I did not think about the micro switch... it sounds like conversion won’t yield much weight saving to make it functional not just cosmetic.
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Old 11-05-2018, 04:37 AM   #4

I went through an extreme diet on mine and lost 250lbs. I left my factory door panels. It's a lot of work to replace the door panels with something that will look good and light weight. The door panels aren't that heavy to begin with. I was hoping to come across some black leather 97 speakerless/ no airbag door panels for a sleeker look. Those are nearly impossible to find. I did come across some black leather speakerless 996 door panels though. Instead of a speaker it has a small cubby. There was a build thread where someone built some good looking RS door panels for their boxster. I believe it was a V8 build thread. I can't remember the guy's forum name. Vlad is his real name. Changing to racing seats was probably the biggest single loss. I stripped all the interior of insulation, removed all the airbags, went manual on the top and removed all the trunk carpets and plastic.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
I went through an extreme diet on mine and lost 250lbs. I left my factory door panels. It's a lot of work to replace the door panels with something that will look good and light weight. The door panels aren't that heavy to begin with. I was hoping to come across some black leather 97 speakerless/ no airbag door panels for a sleeker look. Those are nearly impossible to find. I did come across some black leather speakerless 996 door panels though. Instead of a speaker it has a small cubby. There was a build thread where someone built some good looking RS door panels for their boxster. I believe it was a V8 build thread. I can't remember the guy's forum name. Vlad is his real name. Changing to racing seats was probably the biggest single loss. I stripped all the interior of insulation, removed all the airbags, went manual on the top and removed all the trunk carpets and plastic.
I appreciate your expert insight! I guess door cards are not that productive weight saver...

My car is DD so weight saving still need to be street-practical. Just started with low-hanging fruit shaving about 50 lbs with Deca 21lb battery, no radio/ amp/ speakers, home-brew GT3 center console, 987 aluminum engine cover with no top carpet. My goal is 100 lbs reduction with a spare tire out, so about 20 lbs more to go.

And I’m 5’6” and skinny, 124 lbs after 3-month Keto diet losing 14 lbs.

When you went with manual soft top, did you take the whole transmission out and if so, what did you do with the linkage to the clamshell to keep it tight in place? Does it still move along with the top in sequence?

Seats should have big impact but could be expensive unless I can find cheap core to work on. I want to keep Boxster red color scheme, maybe with houndstooth accent.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:48 AM   #6

"no radio/ amp/ speakers, home-brew GT3 center console, 987 aluminum engine cover " I did that stuff too. I used a miata battery for awhile but I kept burning through them and went back to a factory battery. I have a build thread http://986forum.com/forums/show-tell-gallery/59449-woodys-build-thread.html
You'll have to use google chrome with the photobucket bypass option to view the pictures. I removed the transmissions and motor. I used a rear trunk latch for the clam shell and modified the top motor bracket to hold it. It works great and is one of my favorite modifications.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxstard View Post
I appreciate your expert insight! I guess door cards are not that productive weight saver...

My car is DD so weight saving still need to be street-practical. Just started with low-hanging fruit shaving about 50 lbs with Deca 21lb battery, no radio/ amp/ speakers, home-brew GT3 center console, 987 aluminum engine cover with no top carpet. My goal is 100 lbs reduction with a spare tire out, so about 20 lbs more to go.

And I’m 5’6” and skinny, 124 lbs after 3-month Keto diet losing 14 lbs.

When you went with manual soft top, did you take the whole transmission out and if so, what did you do with the linkage to the clamshell to keep it tight in place? Does it still move along with the top in sequence?

Seats should have big impact but could be expensive unless I can find cheap core to work on. I want to keep Boxster red color scheme, maybe with houndstooth accent.
Corbeau does some good seat options that are not too outrageously priced. Might be worth a look...

Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote