986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Rear deck lid ala 356... (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72860)

Boxster44 07-24-2018 10:10 PM

Rear deck lid ala 356...

Bought a spare lid and incorporated 356 grills into it just for fun. It can be made waterproof, but I had it just for summertime.

$250 plus shipping... from SF Bay area.

kj

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1532498790.jpg

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1532498887.jpg

maytag 07-25-2018 01:16 AM

Is that so whatever you stuff in the trunk can breathe? Haha

I'm trying to determine its real purpose. Help me out here?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

rfuerst911sc 07-25-2018 03:56 AM

I give you an A for effort and execution it looks pretty darn good to my eye . I don't want it for my car but won't be surprised someone will buy it . Thanks for sharing the pics .

Qmulus 07-25-2018 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maytag (Post 575959)
Is that so whatever you stuff in the trunk can breathe? Haha

I'm trying to determine its real purpose. Help me out here?

The grills are there to make it look like the engine compartment cooling grills on a 356. Definitely not my cup of tea, but some people seem to like it as I have seen it more than once now.

On a practical note, I have noticed that the contents of the trunk seem to get pretty hot sitting over the exhaust, so maybe if you are hauling groceries this could help keep your eggs cool on the drive home.

The Radium King 07-25-2018 08:45 AM

oil cooler. transmission cooler. inter cooler.

maytag 07-25-2018 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qmulus (Post 575992)
The grills are there to make it look like the engine compartment cooling grills on a 356. Definitely not my cup of tea, but some people seem to like it as I have seen it more than once now.

On a practical note, I have noticed that the contents of the trunk seem to get pretty hot sitting over the exhaust, so maybe if you are hauling groceries this could help keep your eggs cool on the drive home. Trying to find some use for this... I am not a fan of making these cars look like something that they are not, so this is definitely not something that I would ever do.

aaaahhhh....
yeah, I'm not a fan of "cosmetic-only" changes like that. I'm more a "form follows function" guy. ;-)

WillH 07-25-2018 09:01 AM

Air intake for trunk mounted airbox after V8 Audi swap.

The Radium King 07-25-2018 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillH (Post 575995)
Air intake for trunk mounted airbox after V8 Audi swap.

or just in general - remove two bends in the intake and take it straight into the trunk.

Cunningr 07-25-2018 10:10 AM

Hinestly I dont like the look doesnt integrate into the design very well IMHO, but to each his own.

Boxster44 07-25-2018 01:57 PM

Let's see....
"to each his own"
"not something that I would ever do"
"not a fan of cosmetic"
"definitely not my cup of tea"

wow, a real hit with this group of purists.

"air intake" was close to function..... actually, I'd thought of hot air exhaust from the cramped, tight, very hot engine compartment - holes in the firewall to the trunk and special hose to exhaust out the grills.

But, basically, it was just for fun and an "I wonder if I could" exercise. Some of you need to lighten up... use your imagination a little. Now I won't show you my "tye-dye" interior panels on the '73. It IS period correct. :)

kj

maytag 07-25-2018 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxster44 (Post 576032)
Let's see....
"to each his own"
"not a fan of cosmetic"

"air intake" was close to function..... actually, I'd thought of hot air exhaust from the cramped, tight, very hot engine compartment - holes in the firewall to the trunk and special hose to exhaust out the grills.

But, basically, it was just for fun and an "I wonder if I could" exercise. Some of you need to lighten up... use your imagination a little. Now I won't show you my "tye-dye" interior panels on the '73. It IS period correct. :)

kj

Shame on me. Seriously. You're right. My comment that I'm not a fan of cosmetic only changes like this was just gratuitous. I could've left alone.
I wouldn't have understood what was wrong with my comment, if you hadn't referred to me as a "purist", haha. That is SO not me. But you made me take another look at what I said....

Your workmanship looks good. It's clean and neat. I assume many will love it.

Cunningr 07-25-2018 02:11 PM

Quote:

Let's see....
"to each his own"
"not a fan of cosmetic"

kj

Well I would not consider myself a purist by a long way. The work manship does look nice. Not to offend but I truly do not like the looks, but thats my opinion. I think moding sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt. Sorry if I offended.

Qmulus 07-25-2018 03:21 PM

Quote:

Let's see....
"to each his own"
"not a fan of cosmetic"

kj

Sorry, that feedback is probably not very appropriate in a for sale ad thread.