Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2011, 08:16 AM   #1

WTB: Key Fob

I just bought a 2002 Boxster S. Going through the car and fisxing issues with the car. The main issue is I don't have a keyless entry transponder. I basically bought the car with half of a key..... what do people do to their cars?

Anyway.....

I got a new key off ebay with the key code. I understand only Porsche can program the key.... and they charge $120. But, now I find out they will program as many keys as I want if I do them all at once for the same price.

So...... I want to buy another key so they can program two keys. It is tearing my heart out to shell out $189 for a key at the dealer..... plus the programming.... thats why I went to ebay in the first place and found one for $75.

Anyone have a key WITH the key code that they can sell?

The dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:14 AM   #2

Garage
What a ripoff - my local Porsche dealer charged $50 to program a key last fall.
Tieniber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:53 PM   #3

Key

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tieniber
What a ripoff - my local Porsche dealer charged $50 to program a key last fall.
Yep. I was thinking of sending the key to another dealer.......but, then I realized the dealer needs the car to program the key. So, I need a local dealer.

Anyone have a key they can sell?
Old 09-09-2011, 06:06 AM   #4

Call Sunset in Oregon... The have better prices.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Call Sunset in Oregon... The have better prices.
Thanks. I just did. I ordered 2 keys for $111 each. I suppose that is much better than $189 each. Of course, they wanted $107 for a key blade..... so I passed on that. Now, I still have $120 to program the keys.

I will call some other Porsche dealers and see what I can do about programming. Honestly, I just think that is crazy for a key.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:54 AM   #6

Are you sure about key blades costing that much? I see them for $25 all the time. Your dealer may have them much cheaper. It's worth a call.

And yes, it is CRAZY how much they charge for a freakin' key. It could be worse though... buy a Mercedes or a Jaguar and the price climbs to well over $400
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:02 AM   #7

Yep. I asked more than once to make sure I did not misunderstand. They did have a lighted key head for $26, but then you have to open the door with the key..... That's kinda lame. The key blank is $25...... It's over $100 by the time you get it cut. If they don't have the key cutting machine, they need to order them from Porsche.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Are you sure about key blades costing that much? I see them for $25 all the time. Your dealer may have them much cheaper. It's worth a call.

And yes, it is CRAZY how much they charge for a freakin' key. It could be worse though... buy a Mercedes or a Jaguar and the price climbs to well over $400