986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   wtb: Bose Sub Subwoofer Rear Speaker (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29388)

Nitro 06-20-2011 05:40 PM

wtb: Bose Sub Subwoofer Rear Speaker

I'm looking for a Bose Rear Speaker / subwoofer for my 98 Boxster. I also need the wire harness to go from the head unit to the sub box.

Nitro

Nitro 06-26-2011 08:03 PM

Anyone?? I'm really hoping to get this set up this summer.

simon531 03-18-2012 08:45 AM

Hi buddy did you manage to get a wiring harness for your Bose sub as I have one and can't find a harness to fit

Nitro 03-19-2012 08:12 PM

I bought a speaker kit to retrofit the storage compartment and add speakers to it. It came with a wire harness so I have that now. I can't say for sure but am assuming it will also work with the Bose setup. I am still hoping to get a Bose box with the sub built in, but will use this until I find one.

Nitro

simon531 03-20-2012 11:44 AM

Bose speaker

Hi again I called up Porsche today and they told me that the boxster will never be able to get rear speakers as the PCM is not programmed for them and I could only fit them if it was done at the factory when the car was made and that the speakerswill never work as the system is all fiberoptic and I would be cheeper buying a new Porsche than trying to fit a harness with fibber optics lol I really don't no whether to beleve them or not

chaabouni 03-20-2012 02:01 PM

Don't believe them. There are a lot of writeups on DIY rear speaker installations in this forum. Just do a search and you will find many. Is your Boxster a 986 or 987?

wvboxst3r 03-20-2012 05:14 PM

My understanding is the amp in the frunck is connected by fiber optics, from there it should be regular speaker wires. You may have go run them but should be a fairly simple diy.

simon531 03-22-2012 10:18 AM

Rear speaker

Hi my car is a 986 boxster s a 51 plate it has a Becker and semins PCM with sat nav and phone built in and when I put it onto settings it comes up with the fader that goes from front to rear so really can't understand why it wouldn't work even when Porsche says it won't unless I spend about £8000 to get it rewired I have never heard of a stereo having to get programmed to work rear speakers cheers simon

silentfrosty 03-22-2012 11:18 AM

Nitro - where exactly are you planning on putting the sub box at? In the rear trunk?

If so, or if anyone else has done that, how does it sound? And are there any concerns about the heat in the rear trunk when you've been driving for a bit?

I went to a audio shop after I bought my 97, and after a lot of discussion about the heat in the rear trunk, and where it would sound the best (I didn't think it would sound great in the front trunk), they eventually built a box for the passenger side floor. It sounds great, but decreases the foot room about 1' or so.

Nitro 03-23-2012 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silentfrosty (Post 283572)
Nitro - where exactly are you planning on putting the sub box at? In the rear trunk?

If so, or if anyone else has done that, how does it sound? And are there any concerns about the heat in the rear trunk when you've been driving for a bit?

I went to a audio shop after I bought my 97, and after a lot of discussion about the heat in the rear trunk, and where it would sound the best (I didn't think it would sound great in the front trunk), they eventually built a box for the passenger side floor. It sounds great, but decreases the foot room about 1' or so.

The bose sub replaces the rear storage compartment and has sound speakers in it as well. It will fit in the Boxster as long as you do NOT have the PCM system in it. I have a 98 model and it has line level outs which go to the amp. I have upgraded the 4 channel amp to a 6 channel and will run my wire to the rear speakers.

As of right now, I too have a sub on the passenger floor. I agree that a sub in the rear trunk would probably not sound very good since it is seperated from the main cabin by the engine. I would guess that one on the front would sound ok, but haven't tried it.

Nitro

simon531 03-26-2012 11:42 AM

No I have the Bose rear sub that goes behind your head (seats) and I have the PCM sat nav , phone dose that mean I can't wire it up to the PCM as I wanted to keep it in the car as I like the look and the sound just needed a bit of sound from behind my head thanks