Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2011, 05:35 PM   #1

Air Oil Separator

I have a BRAND NEW in the box Air Oil Separator that I was going to use on my Boxster. I ended up installing a motor-sports separator instead. I paid $150 for it from the dealer. I will let it go for $100.

Part Number 99610702304

obeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:22 AM   #2

air oil separator

Sorry I don't need yours since I just had a new one installed. I wonder if you enlighten me about this part? This is my second replacement in 71k miles and my mechanic blames it on infrequent driving/long intervals(5000k miles) between oil changes. I have the old one on my bench and air flows freely through it from all ports. What goes wrong with it?Have you found a better solution? I am charged $700 each time for replacement and feel like I'm being ripped off. I'm going to cut my old one open to find where it has failed/clogged/whatever. Thanks for your input. BTW, he also socked me for an air mass sensor both times.
aahighfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:40 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aahighfly
Sorry I don't need yours since I just had a new one installed. I wonder if you enlighten me about this part? This is my second replacement in 71k miles and my mechanic blames it on infrequent driving/long intervals(5000k miles) between oil changes. I have the old one on my bench and air flows freely through it from all ports. What goes wrong with it?Have you found a better solution? I am charged $700 each time for replacement and feel like I'm being ripped off. I'm going to cut my old one open to find where it has failed/clogged/whatever. Thanks for your input. BTW, he also socked me for an air mass sensor both times.
You are being ripped off, don't pay more than $150 for a new AOS & 2 hours labor to install. shouldn't affect mass air sensor either. There is a diafram inside that goes bad & has nothing to do with driving frequency or oil change interval. I am looking for a AOS to cut open & find a better solution for this common problem.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:39 PM   #4

Maintainance Interval for AOS

Is anyone aware of an appropriate replacement schedule for the aos? Last time I was in my engine I thought this would be a fairly simple job to replace. Are there any pitfalls?
Old 03-02-2011, 04:35 PM   #5

i'd be interested in your aos if its still avail. ill send u pm
juno008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:05 PM   #6

I am also in the market for an AOS. I believe mine went in October after reading threads on this forum and finding similar symptoms (ie white smoke, down on power etc...). I really hope it was the AOS and not anything more serious and there was no issue with a check engine light. Other than the RPM's being a little erratic I wouldn't of thought that there was anything wrong with my car at idle. When driving it though it was an obvious problem. But I am wondering about the check engine light. Does it not always come on? Thanks for any responses.

I don't mean to high jack this thread. Just thought I would ask since I couldn't find anything about the check engine light specifically.
coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:54 AM   #7

Garage
FYI; This is for a '99-'02 Boxster.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/ksearch/pel_search.cgi?please_wait=N&forumid=&threadid=&command=DWsearch&description=99610702304&I1.x=14&I1.y=2