Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2008, 05:07 AM   #1

Custom lightweight 986 Boxster competition exhaust system

This is an exhaust system which was custom-made to fit a 2000-2004 986 Porsche Boxster S. It should also fit the earlier cars without any issue, but it will not fit the 987 (2005+) Boxster nor Cayman.

The exhaust uses 2" aluminized 16 gauge pipe and Magnaflow 642-14414 polished stainless mufflers. It has dual 3" polished stainless tips for a clean look. The entire exhaust is 12 lbs, significantly lighter than the stock system which weighs between 40 and 45lbs. This system was designed to be lightweight and have a good tone. The sound is very deep at low RPM and takes on a hard edge at higher RPM. The tone is very similar to the GHL and Borla systems, although it is not as loud as either one of them.

The welded joints were sprayed with a ceramic paint to prevent rusting. The exhaust mounts to the factory location at the rear of the transmission housing using factory hardware. The inlet pipes clamp to the stock catalytic converter exit pipes. It is very easy to install once the factory muffler is removed from the vehicle.

I don't have any sound clips or pictures on the car... sorry. It fits perfectly and has enough adjustment available to center the tips in the bumper cutout nicely. The 3" tips look awesome.

I now just remove the stock muffler and run turndowns for competition, so I don't use this anymore and it's just been sitting in a closet in my house. It's light, but bulky, so I'll have to quote shipping by location. I prefer to ship by FedEx since they're close to me but I'm flexible on that.

This cost me over $300 to assemble not including labor (have receipts). It's only been used a couple of times. I'd like to get $250 plus shipping for it.

John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:14 AM   #2

You've got mail!

You've got mail!
charcoal987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:25 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Any pictures of the exhuast on the car?

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
Any pictures of the exhuast on the car?
interested as well

approx shipping to 75063?

If people came from apes, why are there still apes?
lucky_topher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 01:48 PM   #5

Sorry, as I stated I don't have any pictures of it on the car. I should have taken some, but never had a camera handy.

Guys, I'm heading out of town for all of next week. I can answer questions via my blackberry but I won't be at this site frequently... so anyone who has questions can e-mail me at john_vitamvas at yahoo dot com.

Shipping is $41.65 to 75063.

Thanks,

John
Old 02-22-2008, 03:26 PM   #6

I guess I should have asked for more money. Pending sale already. If the sale falls through for any reason, I'll go to the next person in line.

Thanks for all the interest.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:05 AM   #7

great setup, i didn't think this muffler would fit. this is very similar to what i wanted to do, only I was going to pick the 14156 muffler. this is a 2.5 in 2.5 out. 4" body, and 12" long. 6" of that is the actual muffler body.

I didn't think you could get a muffler as long as you got in there. I'll have to print out this pic, and see if my shop can replicate it.

you have any videos of the exh note? when you say that its LOUD under 3500, what do you mean? I have run turn downs too, so is it close to that? or much quieter than that? I have a dansk now, but its way too quiet for me.

oh yeah, this is a great price for whoever gets it.

Last edited by Benny986; 02-23-2008 at 02:08 AM.
Benny986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 02:41 AM   #8

Benny,

It fits great. I took a lot of measurements before I went with that muffler. I wanted as long of a muffler as I could fit for sound reduction. It's only really loud around 3,000 RPM - everywhere else the tone is pretty much perfect. It's not nearly as loud as the turn downs (which also sound like crap, but for competition who cares).

It shouldn't be hard for you to fab up. I'm not a fabricator and I had no issue.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:41 AM   #9

This Muffler is For Sale

*** started a new for sale thread to minimize confusion ***

Last edited by Lucky; 09-03-2008 at 04:04 PM. Reason: will start new thread
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote