Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2007, 11:32 PM   #1

FS: NIB K&N Air Filter for boxsters 97-04

New in Box K&N Air Filter 33-2773 $28 plus shipping. 801-830-3737 or er@helpmeer.com

ercc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 06:54 PM   #2

Is this a drop in oiled filter for the stock loaction?
as opposed to a cone filter and intake pipe?
mr2by4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:54 AM   #3

K&N Air Filter

Drop in oiled filter for the stock location. Still have a few of these available. Please email at er@helpmeer.com for the fastest response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2by4
Is this a drop in oiled filter for the stock loaction?
as opposed to a cone filter and intake pipe?
Old 04-06-2008, 11:51 AM   #4

I'll quote a section from iwantaporsche.net in here:

"Let me urge you NOT to replace it (air filter) with a K&N or any other brand of aftermarket filter that requires you to spray oil on the filter to trap out dirt. This oil will get very, very hot and thins out by nature. During hard driving (which I hope you plan to do!) a thin mist of oil is brought through the filter and into the engine’s intake.
This is not all that bad from what I have learned, but what is horrible is that a mist of hot oil can come into contact with your mass air fuel (MAF) sensor and foul it out. When this happens, your Porsche will run like crap, get lousy fuel economy, and you will learn a very expensive lesson. MAF sensors are expensive to replace… $400 online and far more at the dealership’s parts counter.
So, resist the temptation to gain a few HP by “upgrading” your air filter. Use a stock air filter and sleep at night knowing you will not have fouled out an expensive sensor."
acas7i11o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:47 PM   #5

I don't know why you guys even talk about this stuff? I am not a brilliant mechanic but I know alot about the basics of the performance enhancement...Almost all cars these days are heavily electronically controlled, not to mention it's controlled with precision. We do not drive carbourated 1973 big blocks which will breath 10 times better off intakes and reduce backpressure 100 times over with headers and exhausts! Putting an intake and/or exhaust and/or headers on a porsche, lexus, mercedes that is a 2000+ year model will, if anything, reduce drivability and reduce horsepower...ya maybe you might, just might end up with some highend hp jump of maybe 1 or 2% but you lose it all from the low/midrange...the most enjoyful rpm range for the street. if you go to the track you will still need midrange for some of the slower turns as well. unless you plan on changing incoming AND outgoing flow AND most importantly hitting a dyno for a good tuning, its a total waste. anyway...now can i get a K&N...thanks. just kidding. but as far as these K&N's, you can dry them out a tiny bit before putting them in...a friend of mine does it for his cars, but i can't remember what you do, i think it involves some papertowels and leaving it out for a day or something to reduce the oil by a bit. look around i'm sure others know what i'm talking about.
ut_cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:06 AM   #6

Oil on the MAS I can imagine could be a problem. I've been running mine for about 6K with it and haven’t had a bit of trouble. It’s important not to over oil when you clean and reoil your filter. A filter right out the box should be taken as a good example as to how much oil should be on it.

In response to cougar, while it is true that these are highly tuned machines and have hi tech electronics, these electronics are designed to measure and adjust the air to fuel ratios. Thus more air flow past the Mass Airflow Sensor would cause the air to fuel ratios to adjust accordingly. This is the primary reason that you can drive your car at multiple altitudes without needing to adjust your carb manually. As anyone that has driving at an area of high altitude and then in area that is closer to sea level could tell you. More air means more power and better fuel economy. It’s really just that simple. Take your Porsche down to phx for a few days and see what I mean. I would also be very surprised to hear that any automotive mechanic would say something to the effect that allowing your engine to breathe better would reduce low/midrange performance, if they do, you should ask to see some credentials.