Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster & Cayman Detailing Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2021, 02:16 PM   #1

Stone Chip Touch-Up

Planning to apply some Rejex to the paintwork in the next few weeks. Prior to this I would like to touch up some stone chips on the front bumper, fenders, and the hood. What is the best way to prep these spots before the paint? The chips are fairly small but the one on the hood is right in the middle and I don't want to attack it with wet-and-dry sandpaper for fear it will stick out like a sore thumb.

alynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 05:03 PM   #2
On the slippery slope

Garage
Try Dr Colorchip
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 11:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Try Dr Colorchip
+1 on the Dr Colorchip.

However, I never have any luck with their procedure of paint & dab it smooth. But this works for me:

1. If you have wax on the area, use some bug & tar remover to cut the wax, then wash it off for a pristine surface. Let it dry before step 2.
2. Fully fill the chip with paint. Don't worry if you have a blob. Let it fully dry hard.
3. Take some 1500 wet sand paper and carefully smooth out the area. No need to make it a large area where you sand, just focus on the chip / blob.
4. Once the chip is blended in, hand apply rubbing compound on the area to begin to eliminate the sanding marks.
5. With a polisher, continue the restoration with swirl remover (it's a mild rubbing compound), then polisher, then wax.

Try it in a low visibility area first to perfect your skilz. It takes the nerves of a cat burglar when doing the sanding. Remember, if you don't go far enough you can always do more sanding. The reverse is not true.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 04:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
+1 on the Dr Colorchip.

However, I never have any luck with their procedure of paint & dab it smooth. But this works for me:

1. If you have wax on the area, use some bug & tar remover to cut the wax, then wash it off for a pristine surface. Let it dry before step 2.
2. Fully fill the chip with paint. Don't worry if you have a blob. Let it fully dry hard.
3. Take some 1500 wet sand paper and carefully smooth out the area. No need to make it a large area where you sand, just focus on the chip / blob.
4. Once the chip is blended in, hand apply rubbing compound on the area to begin to eliminate the sanding marks.
5. With a polisher, continue the restoration with swirl remover (it's a mild rubbing compound), then polisher, then wax.

Try it in a low visibility area first to perfect your skilz. It takes the nerves of a cat burglar when doing the sanding. Remember, if you don't go far enough you can always do more sanding. The reverse is not true.
Thank you both. That’s exactly what I needed.

alynch is offline   Reply With Quote