986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster & Cayman Detailing Discussion (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Sticky interior - how to clean (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61885)

jay2015 06-05-2016 07:52 AM

Sticky interior - how to clean

I have 2003 S and the radio button and the other soft touch interior (around radio, ac register etc) were very sticky and I was trying to figure out how to clean it up. There were several solutions on how to.

I ran into one trick using a cleaning solution from dollar shop, so I stopped by dollar shop get the spray bottle and first cleaned the radio knobs. In no time, all the sticky mess was gone and the knobs maintained their color and shine.

So, I tapped around the dash and took a rag to it (just spray some solution on rag and wipe it). No need to rub a lot, more like applying the solution and removing it.

All the sticky stuff is gone and the parts maintained their black color.

Thought I would share it. The solution is LA's Totally Awesome All-Purpose cleaner.

Cheers,

Jay

MWS 06-05-2016 12:05 PM

I found a LIGHT wipe with rubbing alcohol works well (and I suspect the cleaner you mentioned is alcohol based). Just FYI... :)

geraintthomas 06-06-2016 03:03 AM

Diluted all purpose cleaner always works wonders :) works on interiors, engine bays, etc. A soft detailing brush always helps with this too!

Mind you, I'm starting to find out how well baby wipes work. Try one or two on your shiny leather steering wheel, works wonders.

Ciao 06-07-2016 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay2015 (Post 498572)
I have 2003 S and the radio button and the other soft touch interior (around radio, ac register etc) were very sticky and I was trying to figure out how to clean it up. There were several solutions on how to.

I ran into one trick using a cleaning solution from dollar shop, so I stopped by dollar shop get the spray bottle and first cleaned the radio knobs. In no time, all the sticky mess was gone and the knobs maintained their color and shine.

So, I tapped around the dash and took a rag to it (just spray some solution on rag and wipe it). No need to rub a lot, more like applying the solution and removing it.

All the sticky stuff is gone and the parts maintained their black color.

Thought I would share it. The solution is LA's Totally Awesome All-Purpose cleaner.

Cheers,

Jay

I came across the same issue; thanks for sharing, I needed the tip

kjc2050 06-07-2016 01:08 PM

Here ya go: easy, and works great. Fix Sticky Radio Buttons Porsche Becker Radios DIY

VGM911 06-07-2016 01:37 PM

Try this outfit....I've heard good things about them:

www.stickynomore.com

jakeru 06-07-2016 10:39 PM

I stripped the gummy/sticky surface off my old radio knobs and used black plasti-dip to refinish them. Nice OE style look and rubbery feel!

Stripping the gummy, sticky mess off was the hardest part. One of the knobs was worse than the other, and they definitely didn't look very good or matching after just stripping them. 2-3 coats of black plasti-dip was a good finishing touch.

heliguy 06-13-2016 06:28 PM

Stickynomore is my buddy Robbie Padgett, we grew up together and he does business on high end cars from all over the world.