986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster & Cayman Detailing Discussion (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Detailing Pads & Polishing Buffs (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60735)

DrCactus 03-09-2016 07:55 AM

Detailing Pads & Polishing Buffs

Hey folks, I bought myself a new 7" variable speed polishing tool to get the car looking good this summer. I was wondering if anyone could recommend some websites that sell the right pads and buffer accessories I need to get the job done right.... any input would be great!!

Thanks
DR.C
:dance:

flaps10 03-09-2016 09:23 AM

Griot's garage. Tacoma, WA.

The one and only Porsche club event I went to was an open house there. They demonstrated their products on a couple of cars. Mine was at home with it's butt in the air.

After I got my car running my girlfriend bought me their kit with buffer motor, the various goo, cloths and pads.

That stuff brought my paint job back from the dead.

j.fro 03-09-2016 10:19 AM

+1 on the Griots stuff. Great results, plus it's safe enough for the average DIY detailer.
Not sure if they have pads at 7", though. Their towels are so soft you'll wish they made blankets for the sofa.

BoxsterSteve 03-09-2016 11:31 AM

Try eshine.ca, they are in Port Colborne, but ship anywhere. I've purchased from them several times and are always great to deal with.

JayG 03-09-2016 11:32 AM

The Meguiar's Microfiber kit is really easy and foolproof to use

oneshot 03-09-2016 11:53 AM

Meguiar's vs ChemGuys vs Zaino vs menzurna

I've been starting to update my knowledge on the new cutting polishes out there. Seems like good ole meguiars 105 is still a great option for polish. As for pads I've been looking at various sites such as this advice on detailing bliss:

"Get some M105 for compounding. If you get Power Finish, you can use it with Uber Yellow [pad] or Uber Green for polishing and with the black if you'd like for removing very light swirls. Thats all you need. For daily drivers, the added gloss afforded by 106 or 85rd and the time required to administer them simply aren't worth it and most people wouldn't notice the difference"

jakeru 03-09-2016 05:14 PM

If you're limited on budget, eBay has some killer deals on polishing pads in a wide range of styles. You can pick up several pads for less than what you'll spend on a single "name brand" pad. Don't make the mistake of thinking you won't need several pads to properly do your polishing job. (You won't want to keep using the pad when it gets loaded up with paint residue.)

As for compound, I picked up some meguiars M100 and it's pretty good stuff! A step up from Menzerna, IME. I'm very impressed.

Which variable speed polishing tool did you get? A rotary or dual action? In case anyone else reading this is in the market for a polisher and is budget-minded, this dual action unit from harbor freight is a truly outstanding value, IME:
6 in. 5.7 Amp Heavy Duty Dual Action Variable Speed Polisher

If you use autogeek detailing forums, beware that they are nazis there and have recently begun to take down discussions of any products they don't sell. (Which out of all the products I mention in this post, is everything but the meguiars M100.)

Experiencing this behavior on autogeek makes me very thankful and appreciative that places like 986forum and pelican exist which believe in democratic and open interactions, and unbiased information. THANK YOU, pelican!

Perfectlap 03-09-2016 07:45 PM

Which buffer did you buy? there are only a few good ones that make enough torque to bite into the swirls.

eicheldp 03-10-2016 04:17 PM

Try autogeek.net. They have tons of helpful info, carry a wide range of products and have a forum with helpful members, just like this one.

jmccjr 03-10-2016 06:49 PM

I have been using Chemical Guys products and have been extremely impressed with the results. I enjoy the step-by-step videos on their youtube page too. I use their 7.5" pads on my polisher with no issues. I have found the best pricing on the products on Amazon.