986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster & Cayman Detailing Discussion (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Clay Bars - Accessories (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60098)

DrCactus 01-12-2016 03:16 AM

Clay Bars - Accessories

Hey folks, I am looking to buy some clay bars and wax for my car but interested in knowing where people order their supplies from? Where and what do you buy / recommend ? Hopefully the place ships to Canada!!

alm001 01-12-2016 04:13 AM

I've used the Maguiar's yellow clay bars on many cars. I know there are different ones available with different characteristics, but I have not gone exploring that far. The yellow clay has been good enough to get off 'artillery fungus', possibly the worst stuff ever.

For lubricant, I use the Maguiar's quick detail spray.

Joe B 01-12-2016 04:41 AM

Don't you have any friendly local auto parts stores in Canada? They have wax and clay bars.

jdraupp 01-12-2016 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alm001 (Post 479763)
I've used the Maguiar's yellow clay bars on many cars. I know there are different ones available with different characteristics, but I have not gone exploring that far. The yellow clay has been good enough to get off 'artillery fungus', possibly the worst stuff ever.

For lubricant, I use the Maguiar's quick detail spray.

X2, that's what I use, cheap and works well.

jb92563 01-12-2016 05:53 AM

Could someone post a few pointers on Clay Bar for your Porsche.
  1. Does it come in different grades, colors?
  2. Which brand has proven to work for you?
  3. How often do you use it?
  4. Does it need to be used with any special lubricants?
  5. What Lube works best for you?
  6. How long do you use it before discarding?

JayG 01-12-2016 05:55 AM

Amazon and ebay

grc0456 01-12-2016 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdraupp (Post 479771)
X2, that's what I use, cheap and works well.

Ditto. Been using for years on my cars. Works fine. Have purchased at Autozone, but also online at Autogeek.net - the clean freak cleaning and detailing Mecca.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bglz42 01-12-2016 06:59 AM

Meguiar's clay, then Collinite wax...

jdraupp 01-12-2016 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb92563 (Post 479777)
Could someone post a few pointers on Clay Bar for your Porsche.
  1. Does it come in different grades, colors?
  2. Which brand has proven to work for you?
  3. How often do you use it?
  4. Does it need to be used with any special lubricants?
  5. What Lube works best for you?
  6. How long do you use it before discarding?

1) Meguiar's clay kit only comes in one style I believe. There's all kinds of clay you can buy, I think they all are the same but I'm sure others would disagree.

2) Meguiar's products appeal to me so that's what I used. Fairly easy to find.

3) I used it for the first time in the fall before I put mine away. Once a year will likely be fine.

4) you have to use Lube or the clay won't work.

5) quick detailer is great. You can also use one you create yourself or mix up some water and optimum no rinse wash concentrate in a squirt bottle.

6) use it until you can't find a clean piece or you drop it. The clay can continually be folded over to find a clean piece. My kit came with two full bars I only used half of one so I think it will last a while.

steved0x 01-12-2016 07:10 AM

Some of the auto parts stores carry Griot's Garage, I use their glass clay for windshield following the ammonyc video for windshields (I like) and the regular paint clay and spray for paint(haven'tgitten to it yet) I think I got from Amazon but may have ordered direct. Autogeek has a ton of detailing things for sale, unsure if they ship to Canada.

Ammonyc has a lot of neat instructional videos.

t2-bxtrs 01-12-2016 07:16 AM

Clay Bars and accessories

Hello,

They're all over the place like Canadian Tire, Part Source, Wall Mart and other parts distributor like Napa etc..
It also comes in different brands and makes...
good Luck

grc0456 01-12-2016 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steved0x (Post 479789)
Some of the auto parts stores carry Griot's Garage, I use their glass clay for windshield following the ammonyc video for windshields (I like) and the regular paint clay and spray for paint(haven'tgitten to it yet) I think I got from Amazon but may have ordered direct. Autogeek has a ton of detailing things for sale, unsure if they ship to Canada.

Ammonyc has a lot of neat instructional videos.

Autogeek does ship to Canada, but as indicated, the Mequiar's clay kit is widely available in stores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcslocum 01-12-2016 08:12 AM

I have had good results with Griots products over the past few years.

The clay is just used to "pull" the stuck on contaminants off the paint, so they all should do the same thing. Use a lube of some type, soapy water seems to work just fine and it's essentially free....

Good luck and have fun!!

Perfectlap 01-12-2016 08:44 AM

another vote for Griot's Garage. Unlike just about every other supplier they don't needlessly pair the clay with some other product to raise the retail price. And Griot's puts their clay in a convenient twist jar to keep it from drying out. Griot's also makes the only towel I use on paint, the long nap green and blue towels. I avoid the typical auto store microfiber towel at all costs.

BoxsterSteve 01-12-2016 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrCactus (Post 479756)
Hey folks, I am looking to buy some clay bars and wax for my car but interested in knowing where people order their supplies from? Where and what do you buy / recommend ? Hopefully the place ships to Canada!!

eShine Canada, Car, Wax, Polish, Polisher, Tire Dressings, Detailing Supplies, RV, Truck, Boat, Automotive, upholstery, marine, convertible, Microfiber
Kind of a long way from you, but they eat the shipping on orders over $150.

dghii 01-12-2016 05:51 PM

I've used a few different brands and they all seem to work pretty well. I quit using 'detail spray' as a lubricant and found that, depending on the car, I either sprayed water right out of the hose or used a bottle of distilled water with a couple of drops of dawn.

ekam 01-12-2016 06:02 PM

eshine dot ca