View Single Post
Old 02-11-2016, 12:50 AM   #17
ohhh my

I would recommend going back to halogen. Sylvania Silverstars are great halogen lamps which offers a pure white light.

Although in theory LED are much more efficient than incandescent bulbs, they are not designed to be used in our housing. With an incandescent bulb, light is emitting from all sides of the bulb in a 360 degree and perfectly reflect off of the reflector and point the light forward. Believe it or not, a lot of engineering went into this. When you install an LED bulb into a halogen housing, all the optics of the reflector gets thrown out the window. You lose your cutoff line and end up causing glare for everyone. As you can see in the picture above, there is no cut-off line.

If you're using it for looks, then I suppose it is okay. But if usable light is what you're after, use a halogen bulb that is designed for that housing.

Even installing an HID bulb (also outputs in 360 degrees) won't be as good as halogen. The center point and where the light is emitting from on an HID and Halogen bulb is very different. Every millimeter counts.