View Single Post
Old 05-30-2014, 01:59 PM   #8
JayG
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeJr View Post
Interesting idea to raise the seat - perhaps a solid spacer with the longer bolts. I would like to use that space too.

However, my concern would be safety in an accident - the shear load on the longer bolts now has a new tension aspect. I just wonder if the ability of the floor pan thread can handle a higher tension load, which combined with shear increases the concentric force?

Perhaps some of the engineers out there can comment - maybe I'm getting my definitions mixed up and I'm not using correct terms... But my initial thoughts are that raising a seat up weakens the structure...
those are my concerns as well. That's a big reason I was looking for a factory kit. I'm not an engineer, but do understand some of the forces involved ( had some college classes in Statics and Dynamics a long time ago). It might be a very negligible difference. I wounder if the floor tracks for racing seats are mounted flush, or do they have spacers

If I go with my own spacers, it would most likely be just 1/2 in and I would use grade 8 bolts and probably just the front
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote