View Single Post
Old 03-07-2009, 05:12 PM   #1
Viper5

How to fill coolant?

I drove my car today for the first time in a few weeks after replacing the water pump and transmission fluid.

I went on two trips. The first one I went out to just test ride the car and see how it behaved. I immediately noticed that the coolant light was flashing. Earlier today I dumped out the water from the hose that connects to the pump. Most of fluid came out. I then put the hose back on and replenished the resevoir with the actual mixture of coolant since I finally knew that it wasn't leaking anymore. I thought the flashing light was because the system hadn't registered that the fluid had circulated yet. Well I'm driving about 2 miles down and I notice that the engine temp is at 250 (red line). I immediately pull over and turn the car off. I look in the back and I see steam coming from the reservoir. I then checked the level of coolant and I couldn't see it. I thought it was empty, but when I unscrewed the cap, I could look in and see it was above the max level. This didn't make sense to me since I put the level between min and max earlier that day. After I let the car cool I check the level again and it had since dropped to the original middlepoint. So I decide to drive it home since it was only 2 miles. On my way home, I notice the light stopped flashing and the temp was consistent around 215.

After getting home, I'm confused why it was blinking and overheating, then it wasn't. So I start the car up again and just drive it around the neighborhood this time in case it starts overheating again. As it was on the way home, the light had stopped blinking so I didn't really know what to think. I pull up to my driveway and I accidentally stall the engine (I'm still new to my car). I start it back up and try to go, but notice that the enigne oil pressure light is blinking as I start to release the clutch and put in the gas. The car won't go anywhere! If I keep releasing the clutch and put in the gas, the car will stall. Meanwhile the oil pressure light is blinking like crazy. I then check the oil level and it's good.

So in summary, before today I have never seen the oil pressure light on ever and the car has never overheated (just leaked which is why I replaced water pump).

What is happening???

Last edited by Viper5; 03-07-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Viper5 is offline   Reply With Quote