View Single Post
Old 04-16-2008, 05:26 AM   #9
renzop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeph
Obviously, there's the .2 liter displacement difference. That means the Carerra engine is physically larger (bore size anyway). As a general rule it's easier to generate more power from a larger engine.

I think an interesting question would be what parts do the 2 engines share? Probably not many. I don't have extensive knowledge of the engines, but I would venture a guess that the main thing they do share is configuration (flat 6).

Though not as extreme, it's kinda like comparing a I4 in a Civic (1.8L 140hp) to I4 in an S2000 (2.2L 237hp). Anyone disagree?
Better yet compare the 1.8L Civic engine with the 1.8L Integra Type R engine. The Civic produced 140HP the Integra 195HP. How, you might ask? Higher compression, two stage cams (Honda calls it VTEC), bigger injectors, bigger valves, bigger throttle body, freer flowing intake (less silencing) freer flowing, wider diameter exhaust, costly oil piston sprayers, port matched and polished heads, stronger block construction.

Porsche used all the same tricks to make the 996 more powerful than the 986. Those tricks cost money, but as someone pointed out, not $30K. The fact is that Porsche does spend more making a 996 than a 986 but not really enough to justify the price difference. They could easily make the 986 more powerful but that would just undercut 996 sales (same for 997 / 987).

The fact is that you could not add 996 parts to the 986 motor and reproduce the HP difference. But even if you could the cost would be far higher than doing a motor swap and the chances of the motor grenading from the changes would be high.

Regards,
alan
renzop is offline   Reply With Quote