Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2015, 08:14 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
As I was waiting for the patient to be stabilized enough for transport last night I remembered this discussion. Straight line acceleration is great, but the rapid decel on the other end can suck. 19 years old. ...not sure if they could get him put all back together at the hospital.
Speed never killed anyone. It's the rapid deceleration that can get you.

Surprised the cab looks as good as it does based on how the rest of the truck looks. Poor kid and poor family of that kid.

89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 04:20 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
The features of the boxster that I instantly miss whenever driving something else are the seating position and the steering.
458 Italia has similar seating position.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:15 AM   #23

It's a bit of a work out to say the least but I miss driving this... instant torque from 38.8L V12 Diesel.

ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:31 AM   #24
On the slippery slope

Garage
I sometime slum it in our 04 Targa. It comes close to the Boxster in handling. The extra 60HP is noce however
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:03 AM   #25

I'm fortunate to have had both a 911 and a Boxster. I loved my 911, but the Boxster's handling is outstanding - it dances around corners like a ballerina.

The 911 (in the hands of THIS amateur) felt heavier and I had to work harder to get it close to its handling potential.

All in all, they're both great cars. I do like my current Boxster very much, but going forward, if I could only own one car, it would be a 911.

Last edited by VGM911; 01-04-2016 at 05:34 AM.
VGM911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 06:11 PM   #26

Please Disregard all of the BS 78F350, Keep Doing What You Do, And Thanks........Mark.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 04:40 PM   #27

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
So I just bought a 2015 Ford F150 3.5 liter dual turbo with a 3.55 E lock axle. Wow - this behemoth may be faster in a straight line than the box. Look out for discontinuities in the road however, it easily becomes unsettled and skips along the road. Amazing straight line performance from any speed.
I see you are in Houston, so you probably weren't the F150 that came up behind me, very fast while I was doing 85 in the fast lane, went around me, and disappeared. Thought for a moment that my car had stopped, but I was still doing 85.
astrayelmgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:01 PM   #28

Maybe this is out of place but I'll compare it to my modified 96 Honda Civic (full interior, quieter, faster, big stereo, not 'riced out.'). The boxster being a convertible of course more fun in any weather with the roof down, nuff said.

The boxster definatly has a good driving position, the handling has a very good feel, in that I feel I can push the car into an oversteer and it'll be controlled. Its sporty but not uncomfortable, which is nice so its a good touring car. Its an enjoyable experience that I look forward to but when I'm done driving the car, its not a total satisfaction.

My civic on the otherhand is faster in a straight line, has a more direct and responsive clutch and steering and breaks away in a 4 wheel drift when pushed. Now its not a head turner, but as for driving, its definatly the old comfortable pair of shoes over a 986. The ergonomics are better, and I don't mean the conveniences and cupholders. The visibility is without blindspots, where the top-up of the boxster is of course poor with the roof, and climbing out of it looks very uncool while twisting yourself out of it. The civic has a more direct steering, and in my opinion a much better build quality, starting first with the interior build. The dash is solid and padded opposed to the very cheap and echo-ey plastics the boxster used. The cluster in the 986 is nice but evertyhing else is hardly ergonomic. From the cheap feeling blinker stem to the hollow sound of the armrest, everything in my civic feels 'refined' as if i've taken a step up, while the boxster is more 'compromise.' in order to have a sportscar you have to have lighter plastics that are flimsy and wind deflectors that will break if not removed in a delicate and correct manner.

So the 986 to me feels more like a sports car...almost a supercar in that you don't just get in and go, there are accomidations to be made. As for the driving experience, when you really "push it" it brings a bigger smile to my face than my other car. But as for a daily driver in traffic, you can tell where the money was spent.

For me, after driving a boxster I am reaffirmed that the build quality won't match my old Honda but my Civic, though faster on a track, definatly doesnt "feel" like the chassis is and always will be a pure-bred sports car chassis. And that tips me over the point of making the Boxster a more fun car and, for the price, probably the best bargain for a sports car
BrakeExpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:38 PM   #29

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrakeExpert View Post

My civic on the otherhand is faster in a straight line,
I'm sorry, what? Honda doesn't spec top speed, but in various other web sites, the fastest I can find for a stock Civic is about 135. I think your Boxster needs a trip to a real mechanic, stat.

Or are you just yanking our chains?
Old 07-11-2016, 08:23 PM   #30

I meant a 0-60 my civic is faster but mine with a stock computer tops out at 129, never cranked the boxster up that fast cause I've always got the top down. And as I said its modified (and even the new crazy fast civic type-R is geared for a track, not top end.) The sport model civics are always geared for track, never for top end. People harp on Civics all the time, didn't know if you were one of the mustang dudes scoffing at my car, we Honda guys get ragged on all the time. And yes they made a 1.5L civic break 200mph on the flats too, hehe.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:05 PM   #31

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrakeExpert View Post
I meant a 0-60 my civic is faster but mine with a stock computer tops out at 129, never cranked the boxster up that fast cause I've always got the top down. And as I said its modified (and even the new crazy fast civic type-R is geared for a track, not top end.) The sport model civics are always geared for track, never for top end. People harp on Civics all the time, didn't know if you were one of the mustang dudes scoffing at my car, we Honda guys get ragged on all the time. And yes they made a 1.5L civic break 200mph on the flats too, hehe.
I used to own a CRX; it was a lot of fun, and I would never rag on any Civic owner. I have never owned a Mustang. I currently have a 2006 Boxster S.

So, I take it you disagree with this web site: Honda Civic Type-R EP3 acceleration times - AccelerationTimes.com, which shows Civic R 0-60 at 6.5 seconds? If you are talking about a 1996, 204hp Boxster, then, yes, I will give you that the Civic is as fast or a hair faster. But late model Boxsters are closer to 5s, and Spyders are 4.6S.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:12 AM   #32

Yes that's true, tho the new CTR is faster as well. (the 97 CTR was faster, wierd)

OK TIME to vent. This is a general rant against German engineering. I'm an ASE Master Tech and I've jokingly said 'if you praise german car engineering, you've never worked on a german car.) remember those Volkswagen Golf commercials a few years ago with the goofy scientist guy?

I ran my Boxster pretty much out of gas in my driveway; there was a pipeline break and several of the southern states didn't have fuel. Well we got back regular 87 octane first but it took several more days for premium to get refueled. Long story short, I needed to bring back a container of 93 octane gasoline. So I take my gas tank, go fuel it up, and come home. When i go to refuel the boxster, I do like I've done for years. Stick the nozzle in and pour in the gasoline. After a few seconds it flows out and the damn filler hole vomits gasoline all over me like a drunk baby. Lost about half my gas all overmyself and the ground, got it all over my wheel and paint and all. What the hell? I try again and same thing. Again I'm soaked. I start to curse and yell "you German piece of crap!" and all. I look into the filler flap and open it, looking for an obstruction. The flap, when you push it up with your finger, makes a click near the top. The sound reminds me of a solenoid. So it seems if the flap is partially open...you can't fill the tank? What if someone accidently put diesel in there, how am I suppose to get a siphon tube in there just in case? And what if I didn't stick the nozzle at the gas pump in correctly, am I gonna soak myself at the gas station? This just made me aggrivated. Why did they design this? Actually, I don't care what their reason is, it was over engineered. Every other car in my life does not need this overly complicated system, it should never have been designed. So I think...my cheap old Honda Civic never had this problem, millions upon millions of other cars never had this problem. Its stuff like this that makes me feel like this car maybe IS just a 'cheap 911' as it was called when it was released in 1997. What kills me is that someone decided to spend money on this electronic system. Then I think what if it fails and this solenoid (the car is off, key out) goes back and forth and wears the battery down? Its one more part to fail and I KNOW my Honda is better engineered than this. It's an area to add weight, not save it, and I'm frustrated at Porsche doing this. Like the IMS shaft it shouldn't have been built in the first place. So minus 1 point for the car I was praising last week about how well designed I felt the boxster convertible top frame was.

Sorry about this rant but I'm sure someone out there has to have a similar feeling about this over-designed mechanism. I think...buy an S2000 instead. Its cheaper to maintain, faster, has a better suspension and is far easier to work on.

End Rant.

Last edited by BrakeExpert; 10-03-2016 at 07:16 AM.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:20 PM   #33

BE I know Alt well use to party in the underground in the 70s.

I would totally agree with the over engineering. I worked in Germany for three years being an aeronautical engineer for about 8 years. Even the door hinges on my flat looked like they came out of a WWII bunker. The telephone switching station at work when they were pulled out had swastikas pressed in the metal and the still worked. I think they still have the concept of the 1k years.

8 or 9 years ago I saw a show on History Channel of an aircraft war museum in the UK was doing a rebuilt on a JU 87 Stuka German fighter from WWII with a BMW engine. There are were no gaskets due to shortage of rubber and the machining tolerances were so tight they did not need any. The big concern was if they were unsure if they would be refurbished the engine to those exact tolerance’s that it would ever start.

The Japanese are superior engineers and build it simple and functional and no more than is needed for a superior quality product. How ever there was a time in the 80s hi you needed to remove the radio from a civic you had to talk out the console to release the radio/environment control assembly which was not fun.

The Honda s2000 is an amazing car and many people don’t know about them. I would love to have one. Being retired I have plenty of time. I guess I need to run to the store get flowers and my GF favorite wine and suggest she should keep working for a few more years.
fanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:36 PM   #34
Damn Yankee

Garage
Bump to get rid of the spam header.

TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote