Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2006, 02:32 PM   #1
bmussatti

Desiccators

Where is a good place to purchase desiccators to be used for the Winter Storage protocal? Thanks.

Old 09-18-2006, 02:48 PM   #2

Some of you (MNBoxster) will have a field day with this, but what in the world is a desiccator?
joshuaalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:51 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Sounds like a device that sucks air outta your lungs rather than into your lungs.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:59 PM   #4
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuaalbert
Some of you (MNBoxster) will have a field day with this, but what in the world is a desiccator?

Desiccators are use to remove moisture from the air during winter storage. This protects the leather and any potential mold/mildew build-up.

Ever see those little silica gel packets in high-end electrical components? That's a desiccator!
Old 09-18-2006, 03:10 PM   #5

Hi,

Desiccators are substances which absorb moisture in the air to prevent mildew and such. Typically, they use Sillica-Gel in a permeable bag.

In the Boxster, a few bags in each footwell and behind each seat is usually all that is needed. Try this company - http://www.veritemp.com/index.asp?cat=168887 Scroll down about halfway and you'll see 2 oz Silica Gel Tyvek Desiccants at a fairly good price. I would use about 10 of these scattered throughout the cockpit as described.

You can also reuse them by drying them in a microwave for about 4 min., then immediately seal them in a zip-lok bag to keep them dry until you need them again. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:22 PM   #6

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Ah yes, seen those in my advil medicine and in the shoe box of shoes i've gotten.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 06:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Where is a good place to purchase desiccators to be used for the Winter Storage protocal? Thanks.
I've used Container Dri II for shipping product in cargo containers overseas. Obviously these are a bit big - but perhaps they have smaller retail type versions.

I did find this site online: http://www.drytheair.com/xcart/store/catalog/product_16137_DRIERITE_8oz_Desiccant_Bags.html

Most of these guys will help you figure out what you need and how much you need. I believe there are a few desiccants out there that are also rechargeable. In general you will need about 8oz of desiccant per 10 cubic feet.

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 12:31 PM   #8

Can you put these directly on the carpeting etc.. without any risk of staining? or should they be placed on something.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 12:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by drburton
Can you put these directly on the carpeting etc.. without any risk of staining? or should they be placed on something.
You should be able to put them anywhere. Keep in mind that it's unlikely that these are going to actually get "wet" - they absorb moisture but they aren't paper towels.

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 01:02 PM   #10
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpete
I've used Container Dri II for shipping product in cargo containers overseas. Obviously these are a bit big - but perhaps they have smaller retail type versions.

I did find this site online: http://www.drytheair.com/xcart/store/catalog/product_16137_DRIERITE_8oz_Desiccant_Bags.html

Most of these guys will help you figure out what you need and how much you need. I believe there are a few desiccants out there that are also rechargeable. In general you will need about 8oz of desiccant per 10 cubic feet.

Good link, thanks Denverpete!
Old 09-19-2006, 02:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by drburton
Hi,

I've never had any problems w/ staining in using them for more than 10 seasons and 2 of my cars have light tan carpeting. But, if it concerns you, place them on a small piece of saran wrap...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 03:13 PM   #12
bmussatti

Any need to put them in the front or rear trunk??
Old 10-18-2006, 09:58 AM   #13
bmussatti

I think next year I will order this desiccator:

http://www.drytheair.com/xcart/store/catalog/category_248_NonElectric_Air_Dehumidifiers_page_1. html

I like the idea of refilling the Dri-Z-Air with the 13 ounces of new crystals each year (<$2.00).

I ordered the 8-ounce bags for this year (12 bags). But, I learned in the process only silica gel type bags are re-usable by the microwave drying methode mentioned by MNBoxster.

The bags I purchased are clay based, and not re-usable, since the bag material only allows moisture in, and not "out" by heating in the microwave. FYI.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:29 AM   #14

"The bags I purchased are clay based, and not re-usable..."

Darn, bmuss. I just ordered them couple of days ago. Live and learn. Thx for the new info.

Z.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:15 AM   #15

I just purchased mine from here:

http://www.alwaysbrilliant.com/aa/aspx-products/1-649/2-40736/3-1/bb/warehouses,_garages,_rvs_&_boats,for_industrial_size_applications.htm?

Free shipping on orders over $30.
porschegeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 04:28 AM   #16

They taste good too!

RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote