Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2004, 10:10 AM   #1

UK Black Boxster

Been flitting in and out fo the forum for 6 months now.

Picked my baby up mid July, three weeks late in production but all forgotten now.

Already passed 3k miles,

Spec:-

2004 2.7 Manual
Black
Sports Design Pack
Heated Seats
Air Con
Wind Deflector
Porsche Sound Pack
18" Turbo II alloys

Mods to date:-
Tequipment exhaust trim - thanks eBay (saved GBP200)
Tequipment tyre valve dust caps
996TT spoiler switch on dash
Xenon headlamp bulb conversion (using standard headlight units)

Picking up my hardtop next weekend too.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

and another from a recent webforum run in Snowdonia mountains in Wales

[IMG][/IMG]

UKBXSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 11:06 AM   #2
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
UKBXSTR,

Beautiful!

What exactly is the 996TT spoiler switch on dash?

Can you post a picture of the interior?

Thanks,

Derek
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 12:35 PM   #3

Are your blue replacement bulbs brighter and that much of an improvement?

I've shyed away from them because I tried them in my Lexus and one burned out quite quickly and my mechanic told me they were junk and to stick with factory spec bulbs.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 01:12 PM   #4
Lux

Nice. I like the "action" shot. And as an owner of a triple black S, I'd have to say you made an excellent choice in color selection.

Please show pics when you get the hardtop. I'm thinking of picking one up myself.
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 01:26 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Subanez
The spoiler switch is just a switch in one of the blank center console switch locations that lets you control the spoiler. Its the same switch as can be found on your footrest in the driver's side footwell...it just looks a little nicer, and makes it easier to reach.

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Subanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 01:41 PM   #6
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Subanez,

Thanks for the info. I'm not a big fan of the blank rocker switches on my dash, so I will consider adding the spolier switch. Do you know if it is a simple install?

Thanks,

Derek
Old 10-10-2004, 02:56 PM   #7

I don't mean to chime in on this discussion but; The spoiler/wing is meant to operate automatically upon required speed and downforce/slip stream need.

If operating the wing/spoiler is "cool" can you imagine if it was bigger [picnic table] and had more of an optical impact then the slice that it is, beautiful and functional.

Form with function, the reason the wing does operate automatically is because at the speed of 120Km, it is neccesary to cancel opposing forces.

Scott
mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 05:40 PM   #8
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Thanks for the reply.

I'm very aware that the spoiler is designed to operate automatically, and have no intentions of operating it otherwise. I in fact think it looks pretty silly deployed. I also understand that it is necessary at the prescribed speed by Porsche.

My desire is simply to minimize the blank rocker switches on my dashboard.

Does anyone know if the switch is a simple install?

BTW, anyone know why Porsche decided to place the switch on the lower rocker panel? Isn't it on the dash in the 993/996's?

Thanks,

Derek

Last edited by ddb; 10-10-2004 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-10-2004, 05:43 PM   #9

Did you put in a H4 HID kit (actualy HID bulbs + balasts) or did you put in Xenon/HID look Halogen's (like sylvania or osram silverstars)? I have seen some of those H4 HID kits and am curious how well they work.

I've heard the way that the housing reflects light makes the actual HID's in an Halogen light housing look kind of wierd, but if it's a good upgrade, it's a lot cheaper than buying full on litronics.

Thanks,
Larez2
larez2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 07:08 PM   #10

ddb-

Here is some help for your switch, albeit complicated.

http://wa4ekg.home.att.net/996images5/FWLswmod2.html

Scott
mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 10:17 PM   #11
Lux

Quote:
Originally posted by larez2

I've heard the way that the housing reflects light makes the actual HID's in an Halogen light housing look kind of wierd, but if it's a good upgrade, it's a lot cheaper than buying full on litronics.

Thanks,
Larez2
You are correct about the reflections. Installing HID in U.S. halogen housings is a bad idea unless you want to blind oncoming traffic. U.S. laws have the halogen beams scatter the light vs. the tight focus/cutoff of European lenses which are more suitable for H7/H1 and HID. It's a DOT law so it doesn't matter where your car came from either. My M3's halogens were vastly inferior to the Euro M3's halogens with the ellipsoid lenses. Maybe UKBXSTR can chime in on this...

The Silverstars and other blue, fake HID bulbs can actually reduce visiblility. Blue light has a shorter wavelength. Same goes for HID color ratings. A 6500K HID bulb (seems bluer) will not produce as much visibility as a 5400K bulb...but it does look a little cooler (pun intended).

Last edited by Lux; 10-10-2004 at 10:23 PM.
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 12:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally posted by ddb
UKBXSTR,

Beautiful!

What exactly is the 996TT spoiler switch on dash?

Can you post a picture of the interior?

Thanks,

Derek
The spoiler switch (from the 996TT) duplicates the one in the footwell. Just saves bending down when washing / waxing the spoiler.

Old 10-11-2004, 12:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally posted by RandallNeighbour
Are your blue replacement bulbs brighter and that much of an improvement?

I've shyed away from them because I tried them in my Lexus and one burned out quite quickly and my mechanic told me they were junk and to stick with factory spec bulbs.
These are not just a bulb swap - i know there are plenty of claimed 7500K blue bulbs on eBay. I cannot comment on there effectiveness, i just believe you get what you pay for in life.

I used PIAA extreme whites (Xenon) bulbs on previous cars which gave a significant improvment (cost GBP75, or $130), but nowhere near what the pukka xenon unit upgrade can do.

I have jut put a xenon kit into the std headlight units. They have a H7 base pattern so just slip in like std bulbs - but you need to pass the additional wires to the ignitor boxes (23000 Volts startup !) through the rear cover. Here's a few pics.

The kit as received - note the green sleeves are only protecting the xenon bulb unit prior to installation

Rear of unit after installation - ignitor/ballast box clamps onto rear of headlamp housing with no clearance issues.

Std headlight bulbs:-

Xenon upgrade:-
Old 10-11-2004, 12:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally posted by ddb
Subanez,

Thanks for the info. I'm not a big fan of the blank rocker switches on my dash, so I will consider adding the spolier switch. Do you know if it is a simple install?

Thanks,

Derek
I fitted mine as much to get rid of a blank as anything else - it is easier to reach this than the footwell one when cleaning though.

I put a DIY thread on a UK web forum a while ago, similar one's exist in the US from recollection. Here's the UK one >>> spoiler switch install
Old 10-11-2004, 12:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally posted by larez2
Did you put in a H4 HID kit (actualy HID bulbs + balasts) or did you put in Xenon/HID look Halogen's (like sylvania or osram silverstars)? I have seen some of those H4 HID kits and am curious how well they work.

Thanks,
Larez2
see earlier replies from me - the Boxster uses H7 bulbs. 993s/928s and other earlier cars use H4s.

I have only done the dipped beam - additional kit needed for full beam. They do take about 2 seconds to reach full brightness.

No issues with oncoming traffic or strange reflective effects.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:58 PM   #16

It is a requirement in the UK for xenon units to be self levelling and fitted with a washer system (as per litonics). This onyl really comes into play at our annual MOT test (which only starts after three years of age anyway). It is a quick swap back to std bulbs for the test when it becomes due.

The upgrade is ultimately limited by the beam pattern of the glass lens - that is true. But, where the std bulbs might let 5% of the light through a certain area of the beam, the upgrade provides 5% of a much stronger light, so you gain the same degree across the full headlamp pattern. This has the effect of lengthening the beam and widening it too, particularly on the nearside.

I have not used silverstars, but these are much better than PIAAs which were better than the std bulbs.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:01 PM   #17

pics of the interior - not the best angles i'm afraid

Will post some pics of the hardtop when i collect it, maybe this weekend
Old 10-11-2004, 03:11 PM   #18
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
UKBXSTR,

Thanks for the pics and the spoiler switch install info.

Scott,

Thanks very much for the spoiler switch link.

ddb
Old 10-11-2004, 08:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally posted by ddb
Subanez,

Thanks,

Derek
Another way to fill the void is with a Garage door opener.

I basically used velcro to stick a standard garage door remote control with 9V battery behind the panel. I soldered a pair of wires connecting the opener to a factory switch. Useful and very simple to install.

I used the rear window wiper switch from a 996 since it was a momentary switch with a graphic that looks vaguely like a garage door. I considered touch up painting the graphic, but in the last 2 years I haven't got around to it.

If you buy switches, remember they come in both matte finish and glossy finish so tell your dealer which finish you desire when ordering.

Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 09:59 PM   #20

UKBXSTR, thanks for the great information and pictures. So good of you to share that information, oh and sweet ride.

I just noticed that 3rd picture you posted, the one with you driving, nice!!!

oh, and thanks lux for the comment about the US headlight housing.

Larez2

larez2 is offline   Reply With Quote